• Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Daytona675x
    @amigadave
    Quote:

Not being a programmer (like you), I just find it confusing that the rendering would work the same on the three different Amiga inspired NG platforms, when one works best with Compositing, and the other two appear to work best with OpenGL/TinyGL, without needing to duplicate the work needed, so AmigaOS4.x uses Compositing, but the MorphOS and AROS versions would be written to use OpenGL/TinyGL to get the best performance for their platforms.

I simply already wrote my own OpenGL-like library if you want to put it this way. It's a thin layer that on MOS compiles to TinyGL equivalent calls, on AROS to Mesa equivalent calls and on AOS4 to Warp3D-equivalent calls (so it more or less does the same as MiniGL there, only faster) or alternatively to Compositing calls (so it more or less does the same as WaZp then, only more dedicated to the respective task (my "engine" simply knows better what I want to do than WaZp would know)).
    So in my app-code I use one single set of functions (my OpenGL-like lib) and the output on all platforms is the same (well, almost).

Quote:

My knee jerk reaction was caused by your statement on AmigaWorld.net that you would be using Compositing to replace SDL, and that you wanted to stay away from OpenGL/TinyGL

You simply misread, I did not write that :-) What I wrote was this:

Quote:

Most likely I'll get rid of SDL and use my own trusted framework or excerpts of that to handle input / audio / video / whatever. And I certainly won't use OpenGL directly, because I don't want to rely on MiniGL. Instead I'll use my own OpenGL-like wrapper most likely. That would allow for high quality 1:1 compositing builds without going through WaZp. And it's faster and I have one depenceny less (on MOS and AROS it would translate to TinyGL / OpenGL of course).

As you can see I did not write to stay away from TinyGL or OpenGL nor did I write to replace SDL by Compositing or whatever.

SDL is a lib containing abstraction layers for windows handling, input, audio, video, etc.
    This is exactly what my framework does too, plus an additional OpenGL-like abstraction layer. It is simply less work for me to remove SDL and use my own stuff instead. And in contrast to SDL this framework was especially written with Amiganoid systems in mind from the ground up (I started writing it during the Battle Squadron port).
    And it is my code. If something doesn't work as expected I have a much better chance to fix up things instead of having to dig into "foreign" SDL code.

Don't worry, I know what I'm doing :-)
  • »03.09.15 - 04:38
    Profile Visit Website