OpenJK
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    BSzili
    Yes, I gave it 1MB stack, but I'm going to increase it to see if it helps.
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »05.05.14 - 18:56
    Profile Visit Website
    BSzili
    As bigfoot suggested I increased the size of the stack from 1MB to 2MB. The new version is on my website, test if it helps the random crashes.

edit: Giving it more stack didn't solve the problems, the crashes still happen at random places at load time.

edit #2: All the crash logs came from people with R300 cards. Does anyone with R200 cards have these crashes?

[ Edited by BSzili 07.05.2014 - 13:13 ]
  • »06.05.14 - 11:55
    Profile Visit Website
    BSzili
    Since I've got no more feedback, I take that for a no. All the people with R200 cards whom I heard from (including myself, I tried on two different machines) had no crashes. A little summary of what I gathered about this whole ordeal:
    - The crashes only happen on MorphOS systems with R300 cards.
    - They happen at completely random places. Every log I got had different backtraces, there's no clue for me to start on.
    - Even if I had a system with an R300 card, I couldn't possibly debug this for the above reason.

I know many people are disappointed, feel free to blame me, but I couldn't possibly foresee this. All I can say is that if you have an R300 card, do not buy this game.
  • »08.05.14 - 06:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:
    Since I've got no more feedback, I take that for a no. All the people with R200 cards whom I heard from (including myself, I tried on two different machines) had no crashes.

Mac Mini 1.5 (R200) - the game freezes when starting first "real" mission. Lowest gfx details, both windowed and fullscreen modes. Memory screenbar shows at least 400 MB RAM free.
  • »08.05.14 - 10:35
    BSzili
    Thanks for the feedback. Does this happen every time you start a mission?

edit: Just a random idea, what happens if you start the game with "+set s_initsound 0"?

[ Edited by BSzili 08.05.2014 - 13:04 ]
  • »08.05.14 - 11:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Bzsili

I havn't had much time testing it much, but with the latest version I havn't had a single crash yet. I'll keep you posted.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »08.05.14 - 12:34
    Profile Visit Website
    BSzili
    Tell me if you can successfully load missions after the first two tutorial levels.
  • »08.05.14 - 13:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:
    edit: Just a random idea, what happens if you start the game with "+set s_initsound 0"?

It still crashes. I have send you some logs made on mac mini, maybe this will help a bit.
  • »08.05.14 - 21:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @BSzili

I can load them, but I still get random crashes. Sometimes they load and sometimes they don't. More often than not they do.

My MorphOS blog
  • »08.05.14 - 22:32
    Profile Visit Website
    BSzili
    @Fazior
    Thanks I checked them out, but unfortunately they are the same as the others I received previously.

This is incredibly frustrating, because the crashes doesn't happen on any other supported platform. That leaves me with no other choice than to pull the plug on the MorphOS version OpenJK, and remove it from my website. I know people would prefer this bug to be fixed, but since the backtraces show random places (in the code), I'm left with nothing nothing to debug. Something somewhere trashes the memory, which only causes a problem at later memory allocations. I wish these crashes surfaced earlier, preferably when I tested the game, then I wouldn't have released it, just as Enemy Territory.
    I'm sorry for the inconvenience I caused, and I won't release MorphOS ports of non-free games in the future, so people won't waste any money because of me again. Sigh.

[ Edited by BSzili 09.05.2014 - 11:50 ]
  • »09.05.14 - 08:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @BZsili

I understand your frustration but I don't think you need to go that far. I think you should put it "on hold" and write as a reason "random crashes" but let the file still be there. Maybe someone will find out why it crashes, or maybe if it's a MOS thing it might start working again.

I don't think you need to stop porting non-free games either. A label saying that that you don't take responsability for unforseen problems should be enough. I can't speak for everyone else, but I hardly think anyone is blaming you for buying this game and not having it working. Only an *sshole would blame _you_.

Continue with your great work! Setbacks and all, it is very much appriciated! :-)

My MorphOS blog
  • »09.05.14 - 10:45
    Profile Visit Website
    BSzili
    I know, but I wouldn't blame anybody for blaming me (is that meta-blaming?). I kind of feel responsible, since there were people who bought this game with the specific intention of playing it on their MorphOS machines.
    I can leave up the MorphOS version with a big disclaimer attached to it, but the news are already out, and I'm afraid more people get the game in good faith, just to have crashes. This is exactly why I didn't release ET:Legacy, so I won't get a bad reputation for putting out broken ports. I have no idea how this slipped through, maybe because I'm using the first fit allocator.
    In the future I'll slowly merge back my changes into my main repo, so other people can look at it too.
  • »09.05.14 - 11:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Perfectly understandable. But I think you should 1, not remove the file altogether since letting other people testing it might give a clue of what is wrong, and 2, I don't think you should stop porting non-free games because of this.

Things can always go wrong. That's life. And I like your ports :-)

My MorphOS blog
  • »09.05.14 - 12:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Oh come on, man, don't give up yet. I've promised my 7 year old son I'll let him play :-)

I've tried to install the game on my wife's PC and the installer returned a CRC error on assets0.pk3 so I downloaded the file from the net and replaced the one that I've copied from the CD (strangely MorphOS didn't see any errors back then), but it didn't help - in fact I believe it got even worse (now I get freezes even before the training missions - sometimes on server initialization, sometimes on entity spawning). Just an idea - Could the cinematics be the problem here? Is there a way to disable them?
  • »10.05.14 - 16:59
    BSzili
    Drats, now there's more pressure on me than ever! :-) Don't worry, I'm no longer about to remove OpenJK. I just felt like I tricked people into getting the game for nothing.
    If you mean the pre-rendered movies, then there is no way to disable them. They can be replaced with 1 frame long dummy RoQ files, but that's not the same.
  • »10.05.14 - 17:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Ouch! I thought I was going to be smart - played the training on PC, then saved at the beginning of the first mission and transfered the savefile to my Mini. Unfortunately the game doesn't recognize the save (File "jedi_00" has version #-1 (expecting 1)). Grumble grumble grumble...
  • »10.05.14 - 23:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > played the training on PC, then saved at the beginning of the first mission
    > and transfered the savefile to my Mini. Unfortunately the game doesn't
    > recognize the save (File "jedi_00" has version #-1 (expecting 1)).

Probably an endianness-related problem (trying to load data saved by a little-endian system on a big-endian system).
  • »11.05.14 - 02:10
    BSzili
    Andreas is correct, the games are saved in system endianness. I could have went the extra mile to make them little endian everywhere, but it would have required a lot of extra code, and I didn't see the purpose.
  • »11.05.14 - 07:06
    Profile Visit Website
    BSzili
    I did merge my changes with the latest openjk version, and rebuilt everything. This may or may not solve the memory trashing issues, but it's worth a try. Note: I moved jagameppc.so into base.
  • »11.05.14 - 14:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • szt
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    szt
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:
    I did merge my changes with the latest openjk version, and rebuilt everything. This may or may not solve the memory trashing issues, but it's worth a try. Note: I moved jagameppc.so into base.

Unfortunately, it is not solved the freezing problem on my G5.
    MorphOS 3.9
    PowerMac 7,3, 1,8GHz,
    Radeon 9600
    300 GB SeagateHDD, 120 GB Samsung SSD
    LGM2382D, Canon MG7550
  • »11.05.14 - 21:31
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    WB_Coder
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > the G5 only supports 1gb of RAM

It's rather MorphOS that supports no more than this on the G5. The G5 itself supports several GiB RAM, which can be confirmed by running different OS than MorphOS on it.

Why do you single out a line of a forum message like above, then write an explanation that is intended to make the statement untrue? The conversation was clearly about running a specific game on MorphOS, not about any other OS running on the same G5 hardware.

Was I unclear in any way that I was referring to MorphOS, so that you felt compelled to write a correction to protect anyone who may have been misled into thinking that a G5 PowerMac can only use 1gb of RAM when running MacOSX, or any OS other than MorphOS?

Quote:

> instead of the 1.5gb RAM on all other MorphOS hardware (except the Efika of course)

The Efika 5200B isn't the only MorphOS-supported platform that's restricted to less than 1.5 GiB RAM (see Mac mini G4, most G4 iBooks, some G4 PowerBooks).

You are quite correct, thanks for clarifying that to anyone who may not have already known that fact.
    WB_Coder = Wanna Be Coder
  • »12.05.14 - 03:04
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:

yummmy, I will test it in the evening.
  • »12.05.14 - 08:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

WB_Coder wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > the G5 only supports 1gb of RAM

It's rather MorphOS that supports no more than this on the G5. The G5 itself supports several GiB RAM, which can be confirmed by running different OS than MorphOS on it.

Why do you single out a line of a forum message like above, then write an explanation that is intended to make the statement untrue? The conversation was clearly about running a specific game on MorphOS, not about any other OS running on the same G5 hardware.

Was I unclear in any way that I was referring to MorphOS, so that you felt compelled to write a correction to protect anyone who may have been misled into thinking that a G5 PowerMac can only use 1gb of RAM when running MacOSX, or any OS other than MorphOS?

You are far from being the first, and you won't be the last, but a free advice in the best of intentions - try to ignore those kind of posts from Andreas or don't read too much into them. He is probably *not* trying to be insulting. I have long suspected he suffers from Asperger syndrome to some degree (it would explain a lot), and if so, he can't help it.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »12.05.14 - 08:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:
    I did merge my changes with the latest openjk version, and rebuilt everything. This may or may not solve the memory trashing issues

I'm kinda scared to write this but - it didn't help (at least in my case). Even with replaced .assets files. :(
  • »12.05.14 - 11:57
    BSzili
    I didn't really expect it to fix the problems. If anyone is interested/capable of tracking down the random memory trashing, the full source will be available in my OpenJK fork.
  • »12.05.14 - 18:40
    Profile Visit Website