MorphOS on Sam460
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Andreas_Wolf

I can't remember where now. If I find where, I will post here.

Quote:

I'm surprised that a problem like faulty memory sockets can be cured in software at all.

I meant that even when I got a working board, it was still a useless system due to it's unfinished drivers and such. That problem they can fix over time, and it seems they are making progress. But I bought the SAM460 expecting a working system so I lost patience almost immediately.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »15.08.13 - 14:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Just a couple of days ago I was attacked because I use "copyrighted" icon-sets and
    > he immediately threatened me legally.

"I assume correct permissions and licenses have been obtained to embed in the OS or otherwise stored and accessed."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=37959&forum=47&start=40#714764

Where is the attack let alone the legal threat?

If I am not mistaken those are from the Ken's Icons set not Amiga OS nor OS4. I would just ignore djrikki, he's one of those sorts that didn't use an Amiga for 20 years and then came back not so long ago as a defender of the holy name.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »15.08.13 - 15:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @OlafSch

The argument of legacy I don't really understand. Especially considering that the same people who proclaim only AmigaOS 4 is the true successor because of old 3.1 code are more than happy to bash Windows for having a LOT of legacy code from the MSDOS/Win3.1 era and beyond.

AmigaOS 4 is not bad. I just think MorphOS is noticably better.

My MorphOS blog
  • »15.08.13 - 15:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Yes and I have the permission to use them. He mentioned the first screenshot where some "old-style 3.1." were visible. They were shown as replacement because my def_ icons were not recognized by the icon library and propably used by the lib as replacement. But instead of asking he went to attack. There are other examples of people using icons or themes and immediately attacked by "supporters" and even named "thieves". When I said he should stop that because it is untrue another AmigaOS user popped up and started to attack me. That is this fanatism that I dislike.
  • »15.08.13 - 15:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > how would you interpret this?

I interpret this as an advice that your usage of icons requires permission from the author and as an assumption that you got that permission. No need to read more into that, really.
    In any case, while calling the advice and the assumption in your favour an attack is probably subject to personal opinion, the alleged legal threat is something you just made up to make a certain group of people look bad, which in the end makes only you look bad.
  • »15.08.13 - 15:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

OlafSch wrote:
    Yes and I have the permission to use them. He mentioned the first screenshot where some "old-style 3.1." were visible. They were shown as replacement because my def_ icons were not recognized by the icon library and propably used by the lib as replacement. But instead of asking he went to attack. There are other examples of people using icons or themes and immediately attacked by "supporters" and even named "thieves". When I said he should stop that because it is untrue another AmigaOS user popped up and started to attack me. That is this fanatism that I dislike.

Easiest solution is to just stay away from aw.net and amigans.net that way you avoid most of the looney tunes nutters.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

• »15.08.13 - 15:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    It would be unfair to claim such things don't happen in our camp too ...

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=36326&forum=2

[ Edited by Yasu 15.08.2013 - 17:18 ]

My MorphOS blog
  • »15.08.13 - 15:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    I see it this way and there are other examples. I do not need to make a "group look bad" how you write. I was so angry that I slept bad in that night. And even if you cannot say it was "just a comment" because that is untrue. But everyone can have his own opinion.
  • »15.08.13 - 15:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

Yasu schrieb:

+1

and there was the example of ClusterUK using icons in "amigaos-style" but with permissions. And that are just the "visual" examples I can remember.
  • »15.08.13 - 15:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    @OlafSch

The argument of legacy I don't really understand. Especially considering that the same people who proclaim only AmigaOS 4 is the true successor because of old 3.1 code are more than happy to bash Windows for having a LOT of legacy code from the MSDOS/Win3.1 era and beyond.

AmigaOS 4 is not bad. I just think MorphOS is noticably better.

+1

OS4 is not as bad as some people make out, it's just not as good as MorphOS.

It also has some very strange design decisions that are totally alien to Amiga.

Getting back on topic, I think the SAM460 port of MOS will prove that OS4 is inferior on the same hardware just as the Peg2 port of OS4 did.

• »15.08.13 - 15:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

OlafSch wrote:
    I see it this way and there are other examples. I do not need to make a "group look bad" how you write. I was so angry that I slept bad in that night. And even if you cannot say it was "just a comment" because that is untrue. But everyone can have his own opinion.

It's probably just a language barrier issue.

As a native English speaker that comment from djrikki didn't look like a direct threat and even an implied threat would be pushing the limits of interpretation.

• »15.08.13 - 15:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I see it this way

You obviously like to see legal threats where there are none.

> there are other examples.

I'm talking about the one incident you referred to in this thread.

> I do not need to make a "group look bad" how you write.

Then why do you allege a legal threat where there clearly was none as everybody can see?

> And even if you cannot say it was "just a comment" because that is untrue.

Sorry, I don't understand this sentence. Can you please rephrase it?

> everyone can have his own opinion.

Exactly. My opinion is that you like to make things up for a certain purpose.
  • »15.08.13 - 15:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

Yasu schrieb:

last comment on this topic... wrong link because it was started by someone with "I love using Amiga OS4.1 on my A1-X1000 & Sam440" in his profil.
  • »15.08.13 - 15:27
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:
    > I see it this way

You obviously like to see legal threats where there are none.

> there are other examples.

I'm talking about the one incident you referred to in this thread.

> I do not need to make a "group look bad" how you write.

Then why do you allege a legal threat where there clearly was none as everybody can see?

> And even if you cannot say it was "just a comment" because that is untrue.

Sorry, I don't understand this sentence. Can you please rephrase it?

> everyone can have his own opinion.

Exactly. My opinion is that you like to make things up for a certain purpose.

I have written my last comment on this. And your personal negative view on me is ok for me, I must not necessarily like your views and not that of me.
  • »15.08.13 - 15:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:

It's threads like those that keep me away from that place.

Here's an OS4ish theme for MOS to drive them all crazy! ;)

http://www.five-star.com/kens_icons/downloads/imaz_MOS.lha

• »15.08.13 - 15:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I have written my last comment on this.

You could have used it to answer my questions :-)

> your personal negative view on me is ok for me

Fine. I use to judge people by their actions. And in my book, alleging bad actions that never happened is a bad action in itself.

> I must not necessarily like your views

Yes, I can very well imagine that you don't like my view on fabricating legal threats.
  • »15.08.13 - 15:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Here's an OS4ish theme for MOS to drive them all crazy! ;)
    > http://www.five-star.com/kens_icons/downloads/imaz_MOS.lha

Or this one:
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8568&forum=3&start=3
  • »15.08.13 - 15:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I can't remember where now. If I find where, I will post here.

Thanks.

>> I'm surprised that a problem like faulty memory sockets can be cured in software at all.

> I meant that even when I got a working board, it was still a useless system due to it's
    > unfinished drivers and such. That problem they can fix over time, and it seems they are
    > making progress.

Ah yes, got it now. This was a misunderstanding on my part. Sorry.
  • »15.08.13 - 16:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > instead of asking he went to attack.

Yes, as if you had seen the question whether you have the required permission as less an attack than stating the assumption that you have it.

> When I said he should stop that because it is untrue another AmigaOS user popped up
    > and started to attack me.

What incident are you referring to here? It is certainly not the djrikki one.
  • »15.08.13 - 16:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Back to topic: Would be cool if a team member could confirm whether Sam440 support is actualy planed or not.
    The Sam440 is obviously rather weak, but also has a not too high absolute pricetag, hence I would welcome a port to it. For non demanding things it could make a small, low wattage 100% silent machine.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »15.08.13 - 21:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Zylesea

I agree. But since power is not much of an issue for MOS (remeber, it works rather nice with the Efika) I would welcome this addition for no other reason really than it's cheap enough for me to consider it.

My MorphOS blog
  • »15.08.13 - 21:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Back to topic: Would be cool if a team member could confirm whether Sam440 support is actualy planed or not.
    The Sam440 is obviously rather weak, but also has a not too high absolute pricetag, hence I would welcome a port to it. For non demanding things it could make a small, low wattage 100% silent machine.

I'd be tempted to get one myself if it could run MOS. They are quite reasonably priced all things considered.

• »15.08.13 - 22:03
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

+1 i got a Sam440 that i hardly turn on because OS4 is unusable and boring, i'd love to turn it to a morphOS box.
  • »16.08.13 - 08:52
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    I'm sorry to spoil the party but MorphOS support for Sam440 is very unlikely to happen. Our original plans to support 460 got massively delayed already and even there is quite some low level work still ahead.
    With all the additional issues showing up in public and the rather sparse feedback we received from customers regarding our plans to support ACube's hardware, it's not even sure if that will ever see the light of day anytime soon ...
  • »16.08.13 - 09:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> MorphOS will officially support Sam460 at some point.

>> Also Sam440?
    >> "MorphOS will run on SAM 440 and SAM 460"
    >> http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38014&forum=14&start=60#715081

> MorphOS support for Sam440 is very unlikely to happen.

Thanks for clarification.

> With all the additional issues showing up in public

Is this referring to the memory socket issue Yasu reported on or the missing AC'97 clock source selection resistor? If neither, what issues do you mean?

> and the rather sparse feedback we received from customers regarding our plans
    > to support ACube's hardware, it's not even sure if that will ever see the light of day
    > anytime soon

Too bad.
  • »16.08.13 - 10:23