MorphOS 3.0 issues
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    muffie
    I was able to install MorphOS 3.0 on my PBOOK 1.67 today.
    But I cannot boot from OSX anymore. Maybe I messed up with partitions while manual editing them. Currently HDConfig shows the following:

* DH0: 64MB HFS 5% used
    * - 128MB ???
    * DH2: 63.98GB HFS NODOS (this is the OSX partition)
    * DH1: 10.36GB SFS 1% used (this is MorphOS partition)
    * - 8KB ???

When holding ALT during boot, only MorphOS HD is shown as bootable.
    Any ideas about how can I fix it?
  • »12.06.12 - 01:23
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Yes, the Linux bootstrap partition is likely to cause problems.
  • »12.06.12 - 02:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @muffie

Assuming you didn't totally mess it up, run HDConfig, select DH2 and check 'Show Apple Partition Map specific options'. A valid OSX partition here has Valid, Read, Allocated, Mount and Write options selected and no other.

I fear though that since it says 'NODOS', you might have accidentally either resized it under HDConfig or formatted it - in which case I'd just try to reinstall OSX on it.
  • »12.06.12 - 02:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    muffie
    Actually I did resized and moved it using HDConfig. Why that option is available if it's not working?
    It can't be mounted inside MorphOS neither inside DiskUtility (Leopard Installation DVD)
    Any chance of saving it?
  • »12.06.12 - 02:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    osco,
    Quote:

@Dave: Would you open a shell and type the "battery" command?
    Curious to see your output?

Not sure why you want this info osco, but the resulting message is this:

12V / 4Ah battery found. Current battery level is 98 %.

Update on my experience using MorphOS3.0:

Since I suffer from insomnia, I did not sleep last night after I installed MorphOS3.0 on my model 5.9 17" G4 PowerBook w/1gb RAM & 120gb hard drive, display set at 1680x1050. Before I report more about MorphOS3.0 running on this PowerBook I have to explain that when running MacOSX 10.5.8 on this computer I would occasionally experience kernel panics, or sometimes an unknown lockup, which I had hoped was being caused by an unmatched pair of RAM dimms, when I had 1.5gb of RAM installed in it, but the problems still happened occasionally after I removed the 512mb dimm and went back to only 1gb of RAM, so the memory apparently is not the problem. I was hoping that I would not experience any of these mysterious lockups while running MorphOS3.0, but have already had a couple of them today.

After I installed MorphOS3.0, I first edited the install script for the Pack Ultimate, so it would accept being installed on a system with MorphOS3.0, instead of MorphOS2.7. I then downloaded and installed the latest version of Grunch and used it to update any of the software that the Pack Ultimate installed, as a lot of it was not the most current versions available. Grunch is great for this purpose.

I then noticed that the MorphOS SDK did not get installed fully, or correctly (don't know if it was supposed to be included with MorphOS3.0, or if it was the Pack Ultimate that had tried to install the SDK, but in any case, I also noticed that Grunch does not allow the user to adjust the location for the SDK to be installed and that because the partial installation of the SDK was not in the place that Grunch expected it to be, Grunch was not able to Un-install the SDK, so that I could attempt to install it again. Since there was an assign or two for the SDK within the Startup-Sequence, I could not delete all of the SDK until I first disabled the assign statements in the Startup-Sequence temporarily.

I then edited the Grunch database entry for the MorphOS SDK, so I could choose where it would be installed, but I must have missed something, because I still could not enter a directory location inside of Grunch for the installation of the SDK and just installed it where ever it was going to go, but then found that within the installation script I was able to choose the location and it appears that the SDK is not installed fully, but I have not tested it yet. After the installation, I re-enabled the SDK assign statements in the Startup-Sequence and have been testing MorphOS3.0 for hours last night and today.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »12.06.12 - 03:52
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    The Morphzone Library has a guide on how to setup dual boot and it specifically says to resize the partition using OSX or Linux - for a reason. Our HD config tool actually asks if you are really sure what you're doing before saving partition layout changes and warns it might result in data loss. In your case - it did. Sorry but I don't think your data can be easily restored.
  • »12.06.12 - 04:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    muffie
    You're actually right. I was tempted to resize and move through HDConfig.
    Well installing and reinstalling stuff is actually part of the fun! :)

Another question, with 3.0, Radeon R300s get full 3D Acceleration? Besides my Powerbook, I also have a quicksilver with a Radeon 9600XT....
  • »12.06.12 - 08:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Motosampy
    The network speed is indeed increased alot from 2.7 , but there is still some weird behaviour: Download speed (from network drive over LAN) with smbfs is good, upto 15 Mbytes/s , but upload is speed terribly slow, this is most likely smbfs fault. But when using Transfer the download speed is pretty poor, about 2-3 Mbytes/s, yet upload may reach upto 20 Mbytes/s...
  • »12.06.12 - 11:18
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    Hi Dave,

Sorry to see your still having issues with your powerbook. I still bet it is memory related. I had a terrible time when I bought mine used, kernal panics just like you.

I would suggest trying additional memory. I broke down and bought new memory from owc and that fixed my problem. I have a pair of 1 gig chips and it works great now.

I talked to mac folks and the powerbooks is very picky about memory. That's why I bought from owc, they have 'mac' certified memory and they specialize in mac stuff.

If you buy new memory, I would recommend you pick up a Mercury Legacy SSD. The speed is smashingly good.

OSX is really a bloated piece of software. It took 1.5 minutes to boot and there is lag in everything. I have the idential 5.9 powerbook you do with an SSD and I was so under impressed with the OS. My Amiga buddies who became Mac users, got an earful when they came over to tell me how I found great the Mac was.
    I even purchased coreplayer to almost play HD video.

With MOS 3, boot time is 5 seconds, hd video hasn't been a problem, and most operations are instantaneous. Now I have to have the Mac uses over to tell them to switch to MOS!

Let me know if the memory worked.

Take care,

Matt
  • »12.06.12 - 12:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > with 3.0, Radeon R300s get full 3D Acceleration?

No, this was postponed to a later release a while ago.
  • »12.06.12 - 13:03
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    muffie
    So, not even Powerbook has 3D Acceleration?
  • »12.06.12 - 13:42
    stephen_robinson
    Nope.

Does everyone else remember how people were demanding 3.0 to be released NOW!!!

I know I was :-D
  • »12.06.12 - 15:35
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    gleng
    jacadcaps,
    Quote:

Yes, the Linux bootstrap partition is likely to cause problems.

Any idea why? I only ask because it worked fine with MorphOS 2.7 and below. Has something changed?
  • »12.06.12 - 16:46
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    muffie
    stephen_robinson,
    Quote:

Does everyone else remember how people were demanding 3.0 to be released NOW!!!

Well, I'm not complaining. Just trying to know what to expect.
    I think it's maybe better to buy a cheap Radeon 9200 for my Quicksilver. Than I'll be finally able to get full MOS experience...
  • »12.06.12 - 17:22
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dake
    Hmm I still had this issue, I cant find * ' on the swedish keymap at my powerbook.
  • »12.06.12 - 19:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dake
    This is interesting: If I connect an USB-mouse to the powerbook the ><*' keys works just fine!
    Explain this MorphOS Developers :)

Edit: you must reboot with the mouse attached to get the keys work!

[ Edited by dake 13.06.2012 - 11:15 ]
  • »13.06.12 - 08:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Not been having any issues myself to speak of, only a few observations and suggestions:

1. In the info about the Mac Mini network driver, there is a copyright notice that "ends" on 2009 (I think) and just some lines under it, the latest version is listed to be from 2012. Maybe there are such inconsistencies on other version/copyright info's as well? Maybe you should go through them all and make a quick check? Totally unimportant in practice, but inconsistencies never *look* good IMHO. ;-)

2. In the preferences you can specify "Open URL" for WWW, E-mail and FTP. Now when there is an FTP client built-in, I think this should be put there as standard instead of an empty and dactivated box?

3. The menu/contextmenu behavior using the right mouse button has two "modes". Hold the button, and the menu will close when you release it. A quick click on the button will make it stay open until the user makes a selection or clicks outside the menu. But this "click-time" is a bit too short for my liking, and there seems to be nowhere to adjust it? Would it be possible to add to mouse preferences, where left button click time is set, also a "right button hold time" to adjust this? Or is it there but I missed it?

And thanks for a great MorphOS release! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »13.06.12 - 08:42
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @ gleng

Well, did you update from 2.6 to 2.7 with that partition present?
  • »13.06.12 - 16:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @dake

Could you tell me if there's an ENV: variable called PowerBook_Keyboard set when the wrong remap happens? What's the contents of the variable?
  • »13.06.12 - 16:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dake
    @jacadcaps

When I start the powerbook without usb mouse there is no ENV: variable and the <>*' don't work.
    When I start the powerbook with the usb mouse there is a ENV variable created named PowerBook_Keyboard and it contains "iso".

I copied this env variable to envarc: and now it works without mouse, the <>*' is correct now, thank you jacadcaps! I believed this shoud be harder to solve:)
  • »13.06.12 - 17:47
    xyphoid
    Jalapeno doesn't seem to work for me.
    select icon right click for settings and no drives show up.
    dics source just moves back and forth.
    [Jalapeno] [Open] [ENV:ttfcodepage] [Read] [Fail]
    [136] [SYSCON] [Open] [CON.prefs] [Read] [Fail]
    [137] [Jalapeno] [Open] [TABSIZE] [Read] [Fail]
    [138] [Jalapeno] [Open] [POWERTERMTABSIZE] [Read] [Fail]
    [139] [Jalapeno] [Open] [muidebug] [Read] [Fail]
    [140] [Jalapeno] [Open] [env:mui/JALAPENO.1.cfg] [Read] [Fail]
    [142] [MOSSYS:Data/Jalapeno/cdrecord] [Open] [CDR_DEVICE] [Read] [Fail]
    [143] [MOSSYS:Data/Jalapeno/cdrecord] [Open] [/etc/default/cdrecord] [Read] [Fail]
    [144] [MOSSYS:Data/Jalapeno/cdrecord] [Open] [CDR_SPEED] [Read] [Fail]
    [145] [MOSSYS:Data/Jalapeno/cdrecord] [Open] [/etc/default/cdrecord] [Read] [Fail]
    [146] [MOSSYS:Data/Jalapeno/cdrecord] [Open] [CDR_FIFOSIZE] [Read] [Fail]
    [147] [MOSSYS:Data/Jalapeno/cdrecord] [Open] [/etc/default/cdrecord] [Read] [Fail]
    [148] [MOSSYS:Data/Jalapeno/cdrecord] [Open] [CDR_TRANSFERSIZE] [Read] [Fail]
    [149] [MOSSYS:Data/Jalapeno/cdrecord] [Open] [/etc/default/cdrecord] [Read] [Fail]

Any idea? mini 1.5
  • »14.06.12 - 14:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Please open a new shell and type

Code:
    MOSSYS:Data/Jalapeno/cdrecord -scanbus

and get me the output.
  • »14.06.12 - 15:30
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.00 (--) Copyright (C) 1995-2010 Jörg Schilling
    Bus 0 - usbscsi.device
    Bus 1 - idemacio.device
    Bus 2 - ide.device
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
    MOSSYS:Data/Jalapeno/cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
    (T. Langer, J. Piszczek-scsi-amigaos.c-1.8 '@(#)scsi-amigaos.c 1.8 06/11/26 Copyright
    1997,2000-2003 J. Schilling').
    scsibus0:
    0,0,0 0) 'WD ' 'Elements 1023 ' '2005' Disk
    0,1,0 1) 'Slimtype' 'DVD A DS8A1H ' 'WX14' Removable CD-ROM
    0,2,0 2) 'Multi ' 'Flash Reader ' '1.00' Removable Disk
    0,3,0 3) *
    0,4,0 4) *
    0,5,0 5) *
    0,6,0 6) *
    0,7,0 7) *
    scsibus2:
    2,0,0 200) 'ATA-HD' 'ST9808211A ' '' Disk
    2,1,0 201) 'MATSHITA' 'DVD-R UJ-845 ' 'D8PB' Removable CD-ROM
    2,2,0 202) *
    2,3,0 203) *
    2,4,0 204) *
    2,5,0 205) *
    2,6,0 206) *
    2,7,0 207) *
  • »14.06.12 - 16:10
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Thanks, I'll make sure this is fixed for 3.1.
  • »14.06.12 - 17:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • rNx
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    rNx
    The setting under Ambient settings, Window -> "Default Dimensions and Position" doesn't do anything. Im pretty sure it did work in 2.6 with my PowerMac.

Also my PowerBooks Touchpad (A1107) starts to have erratic behaviour usually when nearing the 30min timeout. It takes countless sweeps to move the cursor, it jumps and registers false clicks. After a reboot it works again. This does not happen in OS X.

Im also having problems with PowerSDL, nothing works. Is this limitation of the Radeon driver?

This has probably nothing to do with MorphOS 3.0, but when I run VICE, trying to access menu using the touchpad (two fingers) VICE locks up with 100% cpu usage. Later I tried VICE with external USB mouse, while opening menu caused 100% cpu usage, I can access it. When VICE locks up using the touchpad, clicking right mousebutton with external mouse makes it work again.
  • »14.06.12 - 17:56