So what is our best CPU?
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Wow! What a round about way of getting confirmation that there are 128MB VRAM 1.5Ghz Powerbooks.
    Can I assume the DDR2 model of the 1.67 still might offer some advantages over the earlier models?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »04.04.11 - 17:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    I have seen a 2 Ghz 7447 Single CPU Powerlogix upgrade card on ebay a couple of months ago. These are rare. I wonder how they compare to the 7448 and the lower Mhz, bigger cache, faster memory 7455 in real world applications.

[ Edited by cdfr 04.04.2011 - 13:43 ]
  • »04.04.11 - 18:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Can I assume the DDR2 model of the 1.67 still might offer some advantages
    > over the earlier models?

Back answer: Why shouldn't it? ;-)
  • »04.04.11 - 19:08
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Memory benchmarks of the 7448 under MorphOS are surprisingly low. This may be due to that processor current support level under the OS.
    At this point the difference between the 7447 and 7448 may not be that much.
  • »04.04.11 - 19:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I have seen a 2 Ghz 7447 Single CPU Powerlogix upgrade card on ebay
    > a couple of months ago. [...] I wonder how they compare to the 7448 and
    > the lower Mhz, bigger cache, faster memory 7455 in real world applications.

For benchmark comparisons between 7455, 7447A and 7448 see posting #37 of this thread:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7638&start=36
    (Unfortunately, the recent MorphZone software update broke direct linking to postings.)

Besides, the 7447A has double the L2 cache compared to the 7455 (but no L3 cache). And the memory speed is the same for both.
  • »04.04.11 - 19:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Some of these tests are MP aware (so not directly comparable to what we would get on MorphO). Ideally we would have some MorphOS comparisons for stuff like decoding / encoding video /complex web pages / games / emulation. Not easy to come up with a standard bench and also multiple memory / HD / video card combination makes this difficult.
  • »04.04.11 - 20:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Some of these tests are MP aware (so not directly comparable to
    > what we would get on MorphO).

*My* calculated results which I linked to are comparisons of the CPUs (only single vs. single and dual vs. dual, not mixed). That's why I didn't quote any benchmark points or times of the programs (we don't have those on MorphOS anyway) from the articles but only calculated the *relative* results of the CPUs (again: no mixed CPU count), which ideally shouldn't be much different from the *relative* results under MorphOS. At least that's what I thought you asked for: relative results.

> Ideally we would have some MorphOS comparisons for stuff like decoding / encoding
    > video /complex web pages / games / emulation. Not easy to come up with a standard
    > bench and also multiple memory / HD / video card combination makes this difficult.

Just define a set of applications and a set of data for each application (if required), open a thread here on MorphZone with your own results and there you go :-)
  • »04.04.11 - 21:45
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    Quote:

Thanks again for pointing out something that should have been clear to me, Andreas.
    Outside of laptops with AROS installed (which holds no appeal for me) this will be the first transportable system for our market.

This could be real if there will be Wifi support under MorphOS. This is not such an easy task, at least that was what I last heard from the team, ages ago. Hope for this to change. Wifi under MorphOs on PowerBook will be great. I am posting form my 1.67, 17'' PowerBook right now. Still under MacOSX, having high hopes for MorphOS :)
  • »05.04.11 - 02:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Obviously Powerbooks without Wifi are not that practical.
    Its odd that I can add a wifi card to my Powermac, but the team was considering support of the Powerbooks without it.
    I prefer my Powermac to be hook to my router via a cat5 cable, but having to do so with a Powerbook would be irritating.

BTW - Why don't I see a 'Quote' button in Reply anymore?
  • »05.04.11 - 03:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Its odd that I can add a wifi card to my Powermac, but the team was
    > considering support of the Powerbooks without it.

Could be that the PowerBooks don't have a PCI slot, couldn't it? ;-)
  • »05.04.11 - 04:03
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Andreas_Wolf,

Obviously not worded as well as it should have been. But by it, I think you know I meant Wifi not a PCI card.
  • »05.04.11 - 04:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I think you know I meant Wifi not a PCI card.

Huh? AFAIK there's currently no other way on a PowerMac to directly use WiFi from *MorphOS* than using a WiFi card in a PCI slot. And the reason you can't use other means on a PowerMac to achieve this is the same reason "the team was considering support of the Powerbooks without it". Or put another way: If MorphOS supported the PowerMac's AirPort it would most certainly also support the PowerBook's PCMCIA.
  • »05.04.11 - 04:18
  • JJ
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    JJ
    Its my only major gripe on MorphOS that is has no direct wireless support at all for aitport in MacMini or usb dongles.

I can understand not bothering with Bluetooth but think lack of any wireless is a major drawback
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2
  • »05.04.11 - 12:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Sure it is a drawback. But do you think the wireless support is left out by fun or chance? It is a matter of feasibility.

What's better though: A laptop w/o wireless (there is still the eth: jack) or no laptop at all? At least my answer to that question is pretty clear.

Bring it on. If one day Wifi will come, too - big, big applause. If not, well, then not.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »05.04.11 - 13:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Andreas,
    I went to the barefeats links and missed the rest of the post. Thanks for pointing this out. So it looks a 7448 is the better option. Are there any incompatibilities reported with it (if I recall the 7448 support was experimental).
  • »05.04.11 - 19:51
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    What is the reason for the difficulty of supporting the built in wifi ? Lack of doc ? Encryption schemes ?

For the first one are there simpler alternatives ?
    - USB network cards or slot card
    - Bluetooth
  • »05.04.11 - 19:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > it looks a 7448 is the better option.

Yes, and not surprisingly. After all, it's the most advanced G4 CPU ever built (as long as we don't count the lower clocked but better integrated SoC G4 CPUs that is).

> Are there any incompatibilities reported with it (if I recall the
    > 7448 support was experimental).

None that I know of. I suggest to ask Ruud as he's the only MorphOS user with a 7448 that I'm aware of. As you can see (and as Jim already mentioned here in this thread) Ruud has reported rather low memtest results for his 7448 equipped Quicksilver 2002 machine:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=7474&start=28
  • »05.04.11 - 20:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > What is the reason for the difficulty of supporting the built in wifi ?

AirPort:
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=6042&start=51
    (You'd have to ask jacadcaps for the exact reason for the blacklisting.)

AirPort Extreme:
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=32&topic_id=6869&start=12
  • »05.04.11 - 21:02
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

Outside of laptops with AROS installed (which holds no appeal for me) this will be the first transportable system for our market.

actually my efika with its 10" lcd monitor is quite transportable : )
  • »06.04.11 - 08:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    A bit off topic, but not any more so than some of the other posts in this thread. I took apart my Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac to move it from a dinged up case to a cleaner one that once housed a half dead 2.5GHz G5 system and found the following corrosion on the liquid cooled heat sink.

corrosion1.jpg

Can anyone tell me if this is caused by a slow leak of the coolant, or just a reaction of the dis-similar metals that might have been used in the fabrication of the heat sink?

I have cleaned the corrosion off the heat sink, but wonder if I should have the coolant, or the corrosion's cause, checked by an Apple Technician at the Apple Store before putting back together the system? I have not used the system extensively since I purchased it, but have had it running for a few hours with no obvious overheating, or warning messages. The Dual 2.7GHz G5 system runs very quietly, specially compared to my Dual 1.25GHz G4 PowerMac MDD. I would think if the system was getting very hot, it would become louder as it increased the fan speed to try to cope with any overheating that might be occurring, but that is not happening.

What do you all think I should do about this new found problem?

Edit: Now I understand why the G5 is so hard to cool, as the contact area between the G5 chips and the heat sink is so tiny, compared to any other CPU I have ever seen.

[ Edited by amigadave 06.04.2011 - 16:25 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »07.04.11 - 00:22
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    That is a somewhat frightening picture Dave. I've run into corrosion in plumbing that used dissimilar metals, but that was always on the inside (where the liquid flowed).

The small contact area just reflects the size of the processor die.
    Many other processors have a heat spreader over the die that is much larger than the die.(you still get better conduction of heat by removing these).
  • »07.04.11 - 02:45