Aladdin 4D
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    Hello,

just visited Aladdin 4D homepage where you can read this:

System Requirements
    Aladdin 4D 5.x works with classic Amiga's running Amiga OS 3.x or Amiga Virtual Machines via Amiga Forever or WinUAE/UAE. It also works with MorphOS, Amiga OS 4.x & AROS.

Aladdin 4D 6.0 will work native on the platforms listed below.
    Mac OS X
    iPad
    Amiga OS 4.x
    MorphOS 2.5
    Linux
    AROS

Windows (Never sold, instead included free with purchase of version for other platforms).
    Aladdin 4D 6.0 Current Status listed below.
    Aladdin 4D 6.0 Stable release 6.0.0.6 (Internal Beta) / July 12th, 2010.

Was there any release for MorphOS yet?
    If not, when will be release for MorphOs and what about a demo version?

regards
    eliot

EDIT: Forgot the link to aladdin home: http://www.discreetfx.com/Aladdin4D.html

[ Edited by eliot on 2011/1/9 9:17 ]

[ Edited by eliot on 2011/1/9 9:23 ]
    regards
    eliot
  • »09.01.11 - 09:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Was there any release for MorphOS yet?

No, that's why your quote contains future tense with regards to Aladdin 4D 6.0 for all platforms.
  • »09.01.11 - 16:27
    MarK
    afaik, there was no release after 5.0... which i bought to support the future release of 6.0. Hope it will appear soon! iirc, there was some announcement, that they will refund my money back if there won't be the 6.0 release...

bye, MarK.
  • »10.01.11 - 08:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > there was some announcement, that they will refund my
    > money back if there won't be the 6.0 release...

Yes, that came into effect on September 24th 2010, i.e. 3.5 months ago. One year before DiscreetFX had announced:

"If for some reason we do not ship Aladdin 4D 6.0 on the platform of your choice in the next 12 months then your money will be refunded and you will get to keep Aladdin 4D 5.0 as a free gift."
    https://morph.zone/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1686

From your statement I conclude that so far you didn't have your money refunded.
  • »10.01.11 - 12:19
    MarK
    well, i didn't (or i don't know :) ). doesn't matter, it's a pity the 6.0 wasn't released yet... would be great to see some progress bars online to see how things are going... and perhaps an alpha/beta release for testing and bugreports...

i don't need the money back, i'd rather see the 6.0 sooner or later released.

bye, MarK.
  • »11.01.11 - 07:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> From your statement I conclude that so far you didn't have your money refunded.

> i didn't (or i don't know :) ).

So I guess you're not included in this statement by DiscreetFX:

"Yes refunds were given to those that asked for them."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=33965&forum=32&start=60#623003

;-)
  • »23.07.11 - 00:35
    XDelusion
    It looks like they are looking for testers within the Amiga community for the next release though, so things are looking promising.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58570
    "I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

Registered MorphOS user, Amiga user, and Atari 8-bit user.
  • »24.07.11 - 04:37
    Profile Visit Website
    MarK
    yes, i have registered for the aladdin 4d 6 betatesting, hope it will result in release for MorphOS system :) but i still didn't get any response...

bye, MarK.
  • »27.07.11 - 06:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > things are looking promising.

More promises:

"Hoping for a month or two for Aladdin 4D 6.0"
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34749&forum=4&start=20#642639
  • »13.12.11 - 18:47
    eliot
    from Aladdin homepage:

Aladdin 4D 6.0 Stable release 6.0.0.9 (Internal Beta) / December 28th, 2011.

Things getting closer to release.
    It would be great if there will be a new commercial product for MorphOs.

[ Edited by eliot 29.12.2011 - 16:26 ]
    regards
    eliot
  • »29.12.11 - 17:25
    connor
    @ eliot

I read their homepage but did not find this message. Though, you will have read it somewhere over there. Can you show me where?Having this kind of semi-pro software in a current version would be a good step for us. Back from old magazines I remember that it was mentioned as being simple but giving good results. Nothing like Real3D or Maxon Cinema but good for average users. Would like to buy it. Blender is not very intuitive and besides rendering a simple scene I could just get messages for this and that not implemented when I clicked on the buttons, sometimes it just gave me errors (menu System Info, play animation, flickering windows and logging windows ...), so another candidate could be a good alternative.
  • »30.12.11 - 15:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> from Aladdin homepage:
    >> Aladdin 4D 6.0 Stable release 6.0.0.9 (Internal Beta) / December 28th, 2011.

> I read their homepage but did not find this message. Though, you
    > will have read it somewhere over there. Can you show me where?

It's on the bottom of the rightmost column. Prior to that it read "Aladdin 4D 6.0 Stable release 6.0.0.6 (Internal Beta) / July 12th, 2010".
  • »30.12.11 - 16:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > from Aladdin homepage:
    > Aladdin 4D 6.0 Stable release 6.0.0.9 (Internal Beta) / December 28th, 2011.

Now:
    "Aladdin 4D 6.0 Stable Release 6.0.0.20 (Internal Beta) / March 4th, 2012."

And some interesting information:
    http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=684010
  • »16.03.12 - 23:19
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Thanks for not linking the whole pathetic thread from a.org..
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »16.03.12 - 23:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Thanks for not linking the whole pathetic thread from a.org..

You're welcome. I just find it interesting that it's the Pagestream author who is developing Aladdin 4D 6.0 for DiscreetFX, thus I considered a link to that single post sufficient :-)
  • »16.03.12 - 23:44
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Don't hold your breath: it seems it's first being developed for MacOSX. No work on MOS/OS4 so far. As for the iPad version, I think it was announced before having any idea of the work needed to have a usable UI on this platform (not to mention the lack of storage for loading external files).

And seeing how he seems to make fun of poeple, I wouldn't give a penny to this guy...

[ Edited by Leo 17.03.2012 - 06:48 ]
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »17.03.12 - 09:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    @Leo

When did we make fun of anyone?

[ Edited by discreetfx 17.03.2012 - 03:54 ]
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »17.03.12 - 11:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    All the time? Oh one more, you won't get 100k views in here :P
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »17.03.12 - 15:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

> I just find it interesting that it's the Pagestream author who is developing
    > Aladdin 4D 6.0 for DiscreetFX

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62262
  • »01.08.12 - 16:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @connor,
    Quote:

Having this kind of semi-pro software in a current version would be a good step for us. Back from old magazines I remember that it was mentioned as being simple but giving good results. Nothing like Real3D or Maxon Cinema but good for average users. Would like to buy it. Blender is not very intuitive and besides rendering a simple scene I could just get messages for this and that not implemented when I clicked on the buttons, sometimes it just gave me errors (menu System Info, play animation, flickering windows and logging windows ...), so another candidate could be a good alternative.

Why don't you try LightWave3D v5.2? It is supposed to work quite well on MorphOS, even though it is an old Amiga 68k program. It does not have all the bells and whistles of the current version of LightWave3D for Windows, or MacOSX, but it does have many more features than Aladdin, a user interface that many people love, and some people hate, and tons of books, CD's, available with tutorials and example scenes and objects, plus scene & object files online that can be freely downloaded.

Of course you can't buy it any more and must "find" it somewhere, to be able to install it on to your MorphOS computer, but that might be better than waiting "who knows how long", for a new version of Alladin4D to be finished and available to purchase. It is not even guaranteed that the new version will ever run on MorphOS.

Does anyone have the last Amiga version of Aladdin4D running on any of their MorphOS computers? I tried to install it and get it running but did not get too far. It was a long time ago and I can't remember where I got stuck, or why I couldn't get it running on any of my MorphOS computers, but then I am not very good at figuring out the intricacies of setting up private screen modes for software that tries to open on it's own screen. I still have not figured out how to get my installation of LightWave3D v5.2 working the best it can on my own MorphOS computers, as well as my X1000 running OS4.1.5, but Mike Brantley has offered to help me adjust things to get it working as well as his set up, which appears to work quite well.

[ Edited by amigadave 01.08.2012 - 10:55 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »01.08.12 - 19:51
    MarK
    well, i have tried the LightWave 5.2, and when You set it up correctly (including ModePro), it works great, only few things doesn't work, and You have to avoid using them to avoid a system crash, but it has no effect on render quality. Very nice piece of software, any way to legalise it?

bye, MarK.

[ Edited by MarK 02.08.2012 - 09:26 ]
  • »02.08.12 - 07:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    realstar
    I have always preferred 'Imagine 3D PPC/68k' for all my rendering needs on Amiga platforms. Unfortunately MorphOS still has a few compatibility issues with this software that makes it unusable.

For instance try this:
    1. create a new project
    2. head into the action editor
    3. try clicking on any of the actor,pos,align,size bars

The info window comes up with the gadgets misplaced into the upper left corner of the screen. There is no way to interact with the user interface from that point on even though the software does not actually lock up.

Imagine is 90% working perfectly except for that main annoying issue with certain info windows. I was working on something of a workaround for this problem but haven't had time to finish it as of yet. (I have to write a whole new action editor replacement since I have no idea how to hack/patch this problem in another way)

Lightwave 3D has been my alternative in the mean time but I would really like to see Imagine fully working again. Blender, Cinema4D and Aladdin4D haven't really worked too well for me for various reasons. Real3D is a pretty powerful piece fo software but takes a lot of time and effort to achieve good results.
  • »03.08.12 - 14:02
    Profile Visit Website
    connor
    It is not MOS that has compatibility issues but the user software. MOS cannot and should not become a WinUAE for PPC. If Lightwave and others do not work properly then this is sad because there are no alternatives that are still developeed. Of course you cannot wait for updates as Imagine, Lightwave, Real3D, Cinema4D are not developed anymore. Blender is nice and complex but quite slow because of Python and bugs can only be found during runtime which lead to the program stop working. Aladdin4D is just vaporware. But all in all not MOS should be modified to make all these weird software run but efforts should be made to attract devs to use system standards and release new versions or fixes at least. I always hated the crude UIs of Real3D and such. But there once was Tornado3D. It used MUI. Did someone ever try it on MOS? It was expensive, too, but maybe it is an alternative and can be found somewhere. Or can the authors even be motivated for an update?
  • »03.08.12 - 17:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Aladdin4D is just vaporware.

I think it's obvious that this program exists up to version 5.0.

> efforts should be made to attract devs to use system standards
    > and release new versions or fixes at least.

Such efforts are usually moribund as the devs of those old programs have abandoned programming for AmigaOS a long time ago and we lack the means to bring them back.

> there once was Tornado3D. [...] Did someone ever try it on MOS?

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=375476
  • »03.08.12 - 19:38
    connor
    It was acquired 5 years ago and since then promised to bring new Amiga and MorphOS versions. Besides promising this again and again, making fun of potential buyers and baiting buyers with a Mac screenshot and a Mac video nothing ever materialized. It is the same as with PageStream, Pixel32, Papyrus ... beyond some teasers and ugly buggy and expired demo versions they are all just unkept promises. Thisi s why I call it vapourware.

I bet Tornado3D would be the best candidate for MOS as it already uses MUI but the authors seem to have left. Eyelight was an Italian company, right? Maybe someone knows the authors to contact them? Otherwise maybe someone else could program a patch or wrapper for this potgo.resource. It seems to be complete for AROS since 2008 http://aros.sourceforge.net/pl/introduction/status/potgo.php so maybe this can be used to fake a hardware Amiga. Nevertheless I would need to find a package of Tornado3D to buy somewhere.
  • »09.08.12 - 17:42