|||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 25.04.2011 - 07:21 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »06.04.10 - 20:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Dreamcast

Ummm actually Nvidia is much better supported in Linux than ATI atm.... there are even open source kernel drivers for Nvidia boards in Ubuntu 10
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »06.04.10 - 23:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I didn't know that Nvidia provided enough information to build a decent driver. How does its performance compare to their proprietary drivers?

I'd like to add a note about my negative comments on the Silicon Motion SM502. I've looked over Silicon Motions offerings and contacted their tech support. Considering that the company provides relatively complete documentation for their products, perhaps the choosing them isn't such a bad idea for alternative operating systems.

After reading about the struggle to get ATI's 4350 to provide just VGA output (with no 2D or 3D acceleration) under AOS 4.1, I can see the advantage of picking a company that is more forthcoming on the technical specifics of there products (even if their potential performance might be lower).

Being able to easily write a fully functional driver beats "potential performance" any day.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »07.04.10 - 17:03
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    BTW - Did anyone else look at the posting Andreas mentioned? They're hoping to get hardware acceleration on the R600 series working soon (under AOS 4.1).
    That would give them the 2900 and possibly the 38XX cards.
    AOS is clearly inferior to MorphOS, but their video card support is getting pretty impressive.
    With Acube and A-EON providing new PPC hardware for AOS, its not hard to feel jealous.

[ Edited by Jim on 2010/4/7 21:06 ]

[ Edited by Jim on 2010/4/8 0:29 ]
  • »07.04.10 - 20:06
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 25.04.2011 - 07:21 ]
  • »07.04.10 - 21:15
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    @kolla:

Any features you'd like to see in SSHCon ?

Sure, plenty.
    * merge the server "bookmarks" with /progdir/conf/config (or whatever it is), gui for all the options (X11, port forwarding, compression, keepalive etc)
    * creation and management of user keys through the gui
    * management of known_hosts via the gui
    * unicode input methods, and improved unicode support in general - I have yet to see it work properly
    * ssh-agent - allow user to open keys and have promptfree logons without storing any passwords in config files (probably impossible to implement on amiga systems)
    * hook scp and sftp into ambient, browsing and filemanagement of remote filesystems

SSHCon is not an ssh client thought, it is just a wrapper around openssh, openssh is ok for "serious" stuff, but a lot of it doesnt make sense on amiga systems. Tunnelling should be possible though, I suppose, nice for those that need something akin to VPN.
    -- kolla
  • »07.04.10 - 22:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Any previously-owned Mac mini PPC will [...] run twice as well.

In case "well" also includes "fast":
    I think it's a save bet to say that the X1000 will run faster than Mac mini PPC.

> And not be a pain in the butt with system building and set-up

According to A-Eon, the X1000 will only be sold as complete system, i.e. full setup including OS4 pre-installed.
  • »07.04.10 - 23:12
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I'm not worried about the X1000 processing capability. It's the PCIe video slot and the support for newer video cards (then we have) that bothers me.
    I'm sure if I bought a 2.0 GHz 7448 processor for my Powermac, it wouid esily outperform the X1000 (at a lot lower cost).
    I'm just hoping we can keep up with AOS in terms of video support.

Oh, BTW, I have an XMOS based development board and I see no advantage to the implementation they're making with the X1000 (Xena). XMOS processor are better suited to creating devices that, in the past, would have required specialized chips. I'm currently working on a improved intelligent UART and PIA design to update an older controller board I have. I don't understand A-EON's intent (with their XENA design).

[ Edited by Jim on 2010/4/8 0:39 ]
  • »07.04.10 - 23:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I'm not worried about the X1000 processing capability. [...] I'm sure if I bought a 2.0 GHz
    > 7448 processor for my Powermac, it wouid esily outperform the X1000

MPC7448 @ 2.0 GHz (overclocked) vs. one core of PA6T-1682M @ 2.0 GHz would be an interesting comparison. It might not come out as clearly as you think, maybe even the opposite way :-)

> I see no advantage to the implementation they're making with the X1000 (Xena).
    > [...] I don't understand A-EON's intent (with their XENA design).

Here I'm completely with you. XCore/Xena on Nemo makes no sense to me. Their intention might be to offer something they can pretend to be resembling the old Amiga custom chips in philosophy (see Hyperion stating that Xena, "in true Amiga tradition, provides the AmigaOne X1000 with a custom chipset"), which I consider misleading.
  • »07.04.10 - 23:56
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @ kolla

As for merging and extra options, it can certainly be done. Also the creation of user keys. known_hosts management would require changes in the OpenSSH itself, which I'd pretty much would like to avoid. As for Unicode input - there are places to ask for help if you cannot get it to work yourself (mzone, mailing lists).

I don't see how ssh-agent would be impossible, it just wouldn't be as safe as on *nix. That doesn't really belong to the SSHCon project though. Same goes for scp/sftp - this is totally unrelated to SSHCon itself. And finally, same goes for tunneling / VPN.
  • »08.04.10 - 09:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Velcro_SP wrote:
    Quote:

1280x1024 is not okay for my 24" TFT which does 1920x1200 ;-)

itix, out of curiosity what's the monitor do when you set it to that? Explode?

Have you ever used a 5:4 resolution on an 8:5 format? Or any non-native resolution on a tft? It looks ugly and stupid. It would almost make explode *me*. Today's monitors are mainly full hd or 1680x1650 px.
    The 1280x1024 resolution is of course okay as long as you use 17" or 19" monitors that were popular until recently. But the market has shifted and while my good old 1280x1024 px monitor is still nicely working (still hooked up to my old Peg) I don't want to shwitch back from my 24" now.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »08.04.10 - 09:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    BTW - Did anyone else look at the posting Andreas mentioned? They're hoping to get hardware acceleration on the R600 series working soon (under AOS 4.1).

They *hope* a lot. They hope to get usb 2.0 soon, they hope to get firefox soon, they hope to get the X1000 before summer, they hope since ages and while after ages some hopes eventually get fulfilled uncounted new hopes arised already.
    Not to say it will be impossible to see R600 hw accereration, but I don't give a flying -BEEP- on *hopes*. During my many, many years on Amiga and MorphOS I learned that it only matters what actually *is* available, not what will come in some uncertain and promised future.
    --

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
  • »08.04.10 - 09:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 25.04.2011 - 07:25 ]
  • »08.04.10 - 11:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Velcro_SP wrote:
    Quote:

Have you ever used a 5:4 resolution on an 8:5 format? Or any non-native resolution on a tft? It looks ugly and stupid.

Those aren't really precise technical terms, Zylesea. Are you saying it looks awkwardly blocky and elongated? Uneven?

The aspect doesn't fit any more. The pixels aren't quadratic any more. Also everything becomes unsharp, because there are more real pixels than delivered pixels, thus the pixels must get stretched. The benefit of the high precision is void with a tft when operated in another resolution than the native one (except you accept black bars or use the n-th fraction on the native resolution).
    long short: You're doing yourself a favour if you don't operate a 1280x1024px resolution on a display that doesn't fit exactly this resolution natively. But thechnically it works of course.
    --

• »08.04.10 - 11:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @Jim

Neither MorphOS nor OS4 currently fully support all the features of the Radeon92xx and below, OS4 doesn't even supporet everything a Voodoo can do (not sure about MorphOS). 3D and 2D drivers on Radeon92xx are way ahead in MorphOS compared to OS4. Hard to "keep up with AOS" under those terms.

The only problem for MorphOS & GFX I see are:

- cards can (will soon) only be bought used
    - no decent way to go beyond 1920x1200 as MorphOS does not support DualLink DVI and no supported card has HDMI
  • »08.04.10 - 14:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Dreamcast270mhz
    I would like to see support for the 9700 and 9800 because I'm upgrading my old 9k to one and I want to use this card in MOS, even if its 2D
    My Macs:
    Powerbook G4 ALU 1.5GHZ 15" 1.5GB OSX.5.8
    Powermac G4 MDD 1.5GHZ OSX.5.8 MOS2.7

Want a part for a Mac? Let me know, I'll see what I can do.

Amithlon is amazing, questions and help I can provide.
  • »08.04.10 - 15:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > 1680x1650 px.

Strange resolution ;-)
  • »08.04.10 - 15:32
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    @ kolla

As for merging and extra options, it can certainly be done. Also the creation of user keys. known_hosts management would require changes in the OpenSSH itself, which I'd pretty much would like to avoid.

Hm, no? All that is needed is an "editor" for known_hosts, to add (ssh-keyscan) and remove entries, a bonus would be to also display fingerprints (ssh-keyscan -l, -v etc) for each of them.

As it is currently, one has to edit known_hosts with a text editor if for example a host changes keys (not saying that it's a good thing that hosts do that, but it happens).

Quote:

I don't see how ssh-agent would be impossible, it just wouldn't be as safe as on *nix.

OK, but the implementation would have to be rather different I imagine, due to lack of socket files etc?

Quote:

That doesn't really belong to the SSHCon project though. Same goes for scp/sftp - this is totally unrelated to SSHCon itself. And finally, same goes for tunneling / VPN.

Exactly why I didnt count in "SSHCon" as an "ssh client" - it is "just" a dedicated console handler for the real ssh client, openssh.

So I'll just say it again - MorphOS also lacks a "serious" ssh client, pointing fingers at OS4 here doesnt make much sense, the differences are rather marginal, IMO. It would be really cool with ssh put into a library or something, that apps can use to access remote resources, for example for browsing, maybe even sshmounting etc.

A usefull thing that I suppose should be easy to implement in SSHCon is cluster feature, sending the same input to multiple consoles at once.

[ Edited by kolla on 2010/4/8 19:51 ]
    -- kolla
  • »08.04.10 - 17:46
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote "MPC7448 @ 2.0 GHz (overclocked) vs. one core of PA6T-1682M @ 2.0 GHz would be an interesting comparison. It might not come out as clearly as you think, maybe even the opposite way :-)"

Is that the processor they're using? I thought from the listed specs (running at 1.6) that they were using a Titan based processor. The last time I contacted someone making a PA Semi based board, they were having trouble obtaining the processors.
    If they are indeed using that processor, then you're right, it would dust a 7448. However, when you think about it, neither MorphOS or AOS requires anywhere near the processing power of either processor.
  • »08.04.10 - 19:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Is that the processor they're using?

They didn't name it yet, but the hints are aiming closer and closer at the PA6T. See below.

> I thought from the listed specs (running at 1.6) that they were using a Titan based
    > processor.

From the A-Eon Q&A #3 which I already referred to in this thread:

* "The A1-X1000's BIOS is the Common Firmware Environment, or CFE."

My find regarding this:
    "The Electra board comes with a Common Firmware Environment (CFE) boot monitor loaded into the flash memory. CFE is used to initialize the CPUs, caches, memory controllers, and other peripherals on the PA6T-1682M device."
    http://web.archive.org/web/20070821022508/http://pasemi.com/processors/pwr_evaluation_kit.html

* "To date all A1-X1000 motherboards have used CPU Samples and to avoid potential damage we have not run the CPU to its maximum rating."

My comment regarding this:
    We had already known that the tests were run at 1.6 GHz but it was also said that this wasn't the CPU's nominal clock frequency. Some suspected the nominal speed to be below 1.6 GHz (hinting at APM83290/Titan) while others (including me) above 1.6 GHz (hinting at PA6T). Now, thanks to above statement from Q&A #3, we *know* that the nominal clock speed is indeed *above* 1.6 GHz, ruling APM83290/Titan out.

> The last time I contacted someone making a PA Semi based board, they were having
    > trouble obtaining the processors.

Regarding the CPU, A-Eon told: "It's quite a story, actually..."
    That would fit the PA6T quite well.
  • »08.04.10 - 20:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mobydick
    I think... If (if!) A1-X1000 will be released and if (if) it will be equipped with the PA6 - can we expect MorphOS for this board?

(Yes, i read the pega-1's statement about Ben Hermanns, but... )
    Pegasos II/G4@1GHz, 1 GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9
    Efika MX Smartbook, Ubuntu 12.04
    peguser.narod.ru
  • »08.04.10 - 20:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > can we expect MorphOS for this board? (Yes, i read the pega-1's statement
    > about Ben Hermanns, but... )

More recent statements from pega-1 about chances of MorphOS for X1000 (German):

http://www.pegasosforum.de/viewtopic.php?p=43637#p43637 (3 days ago)
    http://www.pegasosforum.de/viewtopic.php?p=43672#p43672 (2 days ago)

Quick'n'dirty translation:

"It's extremely improbable that further exotic hardware will ever be supported by MorphOS again. Personally, I'd even completely rule out this possibility. Regarding Sam460ex and X1000 we're talking about approx. a couple hundred boards. Minus the buyers who wouldn't purchase MorphOS for it on principle, that's not worth the hassle... [...] In case your Sam460ex or X1000 breaks you'll probably have a hard time getting a replacement. The value of having warranty on such hardware could be observed by looking at Eyetech's AmigaOnes..."
    "With any of the devices neither would the porting of MorphOS be within reasonable limits nor would the whole thing be somewhat profitable due to the reasons told above... The acquisition of the hardware alone would cost in the thousands if more than one reference unit is needed. Not counting further imponderables like compulsory OS4 purchase..."
  • »08.04.10 - 20:56
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    PowerPC based Macs are also rather exotic these days (and it will not improve), so I'm not sure what to read from that statement.
    -- kolla
  • »08.04.10 - 21:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mobydick
    Thank you, Andreas. I can understand position of MorphOS Team. Due to lack of another new PPC-based hardware, I can make the only conclusion: this is the end of MorphOS :(
    Pegasos II/G4@1GHz, 1 GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9
    Efika MX Smartbook, Ubuntu 12.04
    peguser.narod.ru
  • »08.04.10 - 22:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > PowerPC based Macs are also rather exotic these days (and it will not improve), so
    > I'm not sure what to read from that statement.

Regarding PPC Macs he said (in the part I left out):

"In Q4/05 alone 1.2 million PPC Macs were sold, half desktops and half portables. Allegedly about one third of the desktops were Mac mini PPC... New hardware aside, where's possibly the greater potential?"
  • »08.04.10 - 22:10