ffplay and streaming video
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    walkero
    Hello guys,
    I created a few python scripts for AmigaOS 4 that retrieve data from various online video streaming websites like twitch.tv, mixer.com, vimeo.com, dailymotion.com, youtube.com and others. Those scripts use various players, like ffplay and mplayer. They are also usable with VLC under Linux and MacOS X. You can find my scripts at https://github.com/walkero-gr/aiostreams

Unfortunately, although that I searched a lot, I can't find any capable player in MorphOS that support m3u8 video playlists. There is an old version of ffmpeg and ffplay from 2009, and an old VLC, that unfortunately, do not support the needed video formats.

MPlayer is able to play the playlist, but since they include many little pieces of the video, from 2 to 5 seconds, mplayer stops and starts the next one, and viewing a video is problematic.

So, I would like to ask, if there is any updated version of ffmpeg and ffplay, or if someone is working on that. If not, can anyone propose an other solution?

Thank you very much for your time and help.
  • »23.09.19 - 19:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

walkero wrote:
    Hello guys,
    I created a few python scripts for AmigaOS 4 that retrieve data from various online video streaming websites like twitch.tv, mixer.com, vimeo.com, dailymotion.com, youtube.com and others. Those scripts use various players, like ffplay and mplayer. They are also usable with VLC under Linux and MacOS X. You can find my scripts at https://github.com/walkero-gr/aiostreams

Unfortunately, although that I searched a lot, I can't find any capable player in MorphOS that support m3u8 video playlists. There is an old version of ffmpeg and ffplay from 2009, and an old VLC, that unfortunately, do not support the needed video formats.

MPlayer is able to play the playlist, but since they include many little pieces of the video, from 2 to 5 seconds, mplayer stops and starts the next one, and viewing a video is problematic.

So, I would like to ask, if there is any updated version of ffmpeg and ffplay, or if someone is working on that. If not, can anyone propose an other solution?

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Are you retrieving the data of many different formats of small video clips, then trying to play them like they were one continuous video, by using many different video content players, or have I misunderstood what you are doing on the other platforms, but can't yet do on MorphOS, because ffmpeg, ffplay and VLC are outdated on MorphOS?

I was not aware that our versions of ffmpeg, ffplay and VLC, were older than the versions available for AmigaOS4. Maybe that can be fixed (or already has, but you haven't found the correct versions yet), and hopefully someone with more knowledge than myself will respond to this thread, and give you some good news.

[ Edited by amigadave 23.09.2019 - 23:44 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »24.09.19 - 07:42
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    walkero
    @amigadave
    Thank you for your reply.
    The online video streaming platforms provide m3u8 playlist files, which include small chunks of the video (2-5 secs). The video player should play one video after the other without gap.

In every system Mplayer plays those video but has gaps between them, and doesn't preload/cache the next ones. FFPlay on the other hand works great with these video playlists. Unfortunately, the current version of ffmpeg/ffplay found at morphos-storage website, cannot play those files. They are based on the 2009 source code, if I am not wrong, and that might be the issue. Or they lack some necessary features.

I already worked on having my scripts working under MorphOS, but the lack of such player cannot make them useful. But if anyone is working on a newer version or have a beta version, I would be glad to test it.

Please contact me, so to bring those features to MorphOS.
  • »24.09.19 - 09:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I was not aware that our versions of ffmpeg, ffplay and VLC,
    > were older than the versions available for AmigaOS4.

There is no VLC for OS4, and FFmpeg/FFplay for OS4 is almost a decade newer than the most current MorphOS port.
  • »24.09.19 - 14:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I was not aware that our versions of ffmpeg, ffplay and VLC,
    > were older than the versions available for AmigaOS4.

There is no VLC for OS4, and FFmpeg/FFplay for OS4 is almost a decade newer than the most current MorphOS port.

Do you happen to know the reason for why the MorphOS port of FFplay & FFmpeg were updated for AmigaOS4, and not MorphOS? I wonder if there is a missing component needed, that has not yet been added to MorphOS, but has been added to OS4, but that seems unlikely to me. It is more probable that the person who updated the OS4 version just didn't have any interest in MorphOS, so our versions have been left in the older state.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »25.09.19 - 04:20
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    walkero
    I would say that it would be great to have a newer version of ffmpeg/ffplay on MorphOS, as with my scripts it is more possible someone to use them and have fun. It is nice to get rid of the PC step by step :D
  • »25.09.19 - 09:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Do you happen to know the reason for why the MorphOS port of FFplay
    > & FFmpeg were updated for AmigaOS4, and not MorphOS? [...] It is more
    > probable that the person who updated the OS4 version just didn't have
    > any interest in MorphOS, so our versions have been left in the older state.

Yes, Michael "MickJT" Trebilcock, who has been porting new FFmpeg/FFplay versions to OS4 for the last decade, is an OS4 user/developer and has, to my knowledge, never shown any interest in MorphOS.
  • »25.09.19 - 10:26