Memory leaks in OWB solved, at least according to Deadwood
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    In the Amigaworld site discussion about the creation of a central OWB sourcecode repository for all the three main Amiga-like Operating Systems user and developer Deadwood from Poland (who actually is maintaing sources of OWB 1.25 for AmigaOS) affirmed candidly he solved a major memory leak in OWB.

Quote:

Odyssey 1.25 already has one serious memory leaks fixed and I'm working on fixing more cases. More reasons to have Odyssey 1.25 running on your platform

http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=7623&start=20#96802

I asked him if he is sure that he refers to the obnoxious RAM not being releasd bug that afflicts OWB sine ages, but he not answered, and it is four days he does not logs again on Amigaworld.net, or so it seems.

----

I also sent him a PM about another topic, that is the creation of a bounty to help developers to get rid of all endianess issues in Webkit Javascript core, but again he did not answered.

----

Does someone has contacts with deadwood in order to clarify about WHAT bug he solved, and spreading exactly the changelogs to original OWB code so we could fix the bugs that he affirmed as been solved?

Also could someone to ask him to create a directory "issues" into OWB sources repository in order to let me create the Endianess Quest Bounty using automatic bot present on Bountysource?

Thanks,

Raffaele

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte 16.01.2016 - 09:25 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »16.01.16 - 08:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

Also could someone to ask him to create a directory "issues" into OWB sources repository in order to let me create the Endianess Quest Bounty using automatic bot present on Bountysource?

Do you have developer interested in such a bounty? Otherwise I see it pointless. Discussion about that is all over the place and still there is no developer willing to take it.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »16.01.16 - 09:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    @pampers

Problems don't solve by intervention of Holy Spirit.

If we continue blabbering as usual in Amigaland without starting real bounty, no any developer will be interested in that.

Fixing Endianess Issues in Webkit Javascript core it is vital for PPC continuing existing as valuable desktop platform.
    If we continue chatting without taking any action, at next Webkit release it will arise further number of issues that should be added to existing ones, making harder the task of solving it.

Let it commence the collect of money. Once it will reach a reasonable reward, there will be plenty of developers of good will who will gladly ask being assigned to this bug hunting.

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte 16.01.2016 - 11:34 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »16.01.16 - 10:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    @Raf_MegaByte

I keep my fingers crossed.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »16.01.16 - 12:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    It doesn't have to be someone in Amigaland accepting the bounty. So let's just open up one already :-)
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »16.01.16 - 17:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    It doesn't have to be someone in Amigaland accepting the bounty. So let's just open up one already :-)

I already said that Bountysource site requires a directory or a drawer called "issues" in the originary sourcecode repository with some BlahBlah written into it, else it does not start the automatic procedure for creating bounty.

If there is a bounty site that not requires this obnoxious procedure to be fulfilled, then please tell me, so I will get rid of Bountysource and will migrate to a more reasonable site.
  • »16.01.16 - 17:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I thought I already read that another PPC operating system (perhaps one or more of the PPC Linux distro's) had solved the endianess problem for WebKit browser(s)? Can't the same fix be applied to Odyssey for MorphOS and AmigaOS4.x?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »16.01.16 - 21:50
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    BSzili
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I thought I already read that another PPC operating system (perhaps one or more of the PPC Linux distro's) had solved the endianess problem for WebKit browser(s)? Can't the same fix be applied to Odyssey for MorphOS and AmigaOS4.x?

Guess why there are no up-to-date WebKit-based browsers for PPC Linux distros :)

[ Edited by BSzili 16.01.2016 - 23:17 ]
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »16.01.16 - 22:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

Guess why there are no up-to-date WebKit-based browsers for PPC Linux distros :)

So who ever wrote that there was a endianess fix for PPC WebKit was spreading incorrect info I guess? I'll have to search back for that thread and read it again. Maybe I just interpreted it wrong.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »16.01.16 - 23:57
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    I read in Apple OSX PPC camp they (the only guy who still developes a PPC compatible browser version for PPC Macs) solved situation using javascript engine of webkit of 2 or 3 releases ago.

In the long time this solution will end in increasing incompatibility with sites supporting newer versions of javascript.

[EDIT]

Maybe we could contact this lone Mac PPC hero and exchange infos, sources and maybe co-opt him in the bug hunting quest.

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte 17.01.2016 - 13:48 ]
  • »17.01.16 - 12:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the only guy who still developes a PPC compatible browser version for PPC Macs

There's more than WebKit:

http://www.tenfourfox.com

> using javascript engine of webkit of 2 or 3 releases ago

Yes, see Fab's latest MorphZone posting:

"[...] it would make sense to update to the latest branch Tobias Netzel uses (r600.8 branch). If i haven't done that yet, it's merely a matter of time, but it wouldn't be very difficult."
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11347&forum=9&start=17
  • »17.01.16 - 14:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    Also Qupzilla:

https://www.qupzilla.com/
  • »17.01.16 - 14:33
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    BSzili
    Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:
    Also Qupzilla:

https://www.qupzilla.com/

Which is WebKit-based.
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »17.01.16 - 15:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I suggest we ASAP make a bounty for someone to make a big endian version of the javascriptcore, plus maintaining it. And then announce it on other non-NG forums that might be interested (PPC Linux Laptop project, PPC Mac users forums etc). Not having an up to date browser is a huge problem. OWB is still usable, but that might change within a few years.

Making one in P2P should be fairly simple, right? And if it turns out that there are another bounty somewhere with the same goal we can just combine the money.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »17.01.16 - 15:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Raf_MegaByte wrote:
    I read in Apple OSX PPC camp they (the only guy who still developes a PPC compatible browser version for PPC Macs) solved situation using javascript engine of webkit of 2 or 3 releases ago.

In the long time this solution will end in increasing incompatibility with sites supporting newer versions of javascript.

[EDIT]

Maybe we could contact this lone Mac PPC hero and exchange infos, sources and maybe co-opt him in the bug hunting quest.

https://developer.ibm.com/opentech/2015/06/30/ppc-support-for-google-v8-goes-mainstream/
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »17.01.16 - 18:48