MorphOS shuts down on G5
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Checked the debug log and it's empty as well. What could cause the Thermal.sbar to be empty on MorphOS?
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »09.01.16 - 10:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    Checked the debug log and it's empty as well. What could cause the Thermal.sbar to be empty on MorphOS?

Does that happen when you boot from CD as well?
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »12.01.16 - 11:20
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    @pampers

Hi! As I have written on above posts, unfortunately yes.

Yesterday, I upgraded MacOS to 10.5.8, installed a different sensor app (hardwaremonitor) and the values seem identical to ThermographX with a slight variation on the CPU A (displaying around 50 degrees Celsius instead of 38 I was getting). System run for approx. 1,5 hour without any problem (btw, internet browsing seems unbearably sluggish compared to MorphOS Odyssey :)).

Today I am thinking of booting from Linux PPC wiping out MorphOS SYS and giving it a try on a clean installation with different partition type than PSFS (even though booting from the cd didn't seem to have any effect but who knows), or perhaps installing Linux just to perform some additional tests.

I 've sent an e-mail to jacadcaps regarding thermal.sbar but haven't heard from him yet.

Had you tested MorphOS on the machine prior to the sell and everything was ok? Or did you installed before shipping without extensive testing?
  • »12.01.16 - 15:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

Had you tested MorphOS on the machine prior to the sell and everything was ok? Or did you installed before shipping without extensive testing?

That was my beta machine for some time so I did use it with MorphOS before but cannot recall such a problems.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »12.01.16 - 15:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Sorry, I'm a bit late to this thread. Maybe I can help explain some of the symptoms.

Quote:

Thermal.sbar was my first idea to where I should into but sadly it doesn't work at all (it doesn't even appear!).

If you don't get any temperature readings, then likely the fan control module isn't running at all(!). The hardware notices the lack of software fan control and will shut down your computer. That's very likely what you're seeing (shutdown due to lack of software fan control), not because it is overheating as such.

When you boot the system and you can't get any temperature readings, launch task manager and check if you have a task called "PowerMac7 Fan Control" running. If not, then fan control indeed isn't running. There are a few special case scenarios where it will bail out because it believes it is running on an invalid system. One of these cases is if it detects a liquid cooled system but only detects one processor.

If the above is the case, then you can add 'edebugflags init' to your MorphOS boot script, which if I remember right is located at 'boot:bootinfo.txt' (someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have a Mac running right now to verify ;)). After editing the file, don't forget to run 'hfssetmacboot boot:bootinfo.txt' (again, if I'm wrong about the filename, do it on the correct file name). After doing this, you should reboot and if you've run into the case where you can't get any thermal readings, launch a shell and run 'getramdebuglog'. A file named 'morphos.log' should now appear in the current directory, which would be ram: after starting a shell.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »12.01.16 - 16:34
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    With the valuable help of Mark the problem has been identified and it was exactly the issue he had described up above, though I was already suspecting that transportation might have moved something and requested from a friend of mine to inspect the cpu units. Hopefully a reseating on units will fix everything. Will report the following days, once I find the time to take the beast apart.
  • »13.01.16 - 08:45
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    @bigfoot

A friend of mine inspected the G5: screws of upper heatsink were/are blemished and it looked like the machine was damaged during transportation. After re-seating both cpus the system now won't even boot, so I assume that re-seating wasn't done properly. Apart from that, any further ideas?

@pampers

Were you using the machine placed horizontally on the floor or upwards as regular?
  • »03.02.16 - 11:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Regular, standing with PSU on the bottom.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »03.02.16 - 13:39
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Performed the re-seating but it seems that even on the slightest move the upper cpu gets dislocated (even though it has no visible signs of dismounting it just doesn't get recognized). Next step is to determine with certainty whether this is a problem caused by the cpu slot on the logic board (hope not) or from the huge heatsink.

In the meantime, pampers, do you happen to have kept the water-cooling system or have a spare heatnink in case any of the aforementioned are needed?
  • »15.02.16 - 14:44
    Profile Visit Website