Upcoming Webcam support in MorphOS - Skype Alternative?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > is it actually being worked on?

According to MorphOS team member Tcheko, it has been announced for MorphOS 3.10 by MorphOS team member cyfm at Alchimie 0xb a month ago.
  • »17.12.15 - 08:52
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Addendum:

> the isochronous USB transfer mode that is rumoured to be supported with MorphOS 3.8.

Not there, or is it?

It was rumored because I talked with cyfm on a geit@home meeting about the advantages like web browser video chat applications which could use html5 webcam support. He stated that he considers to finish the usb drivers at some point in the future especially to support the audio stuff Tcheko made which would profit from more audio hardware attached to a system.

Part of that conversation was overheard and posted as "rumor" shortly after the meeting.

Seems that "some point in the future" is near. :)
  • »17.12.15 - 17:53
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ausPPC
    @geit

You should put on some blush and some long false eye lashes if you're going to be such a tease.

:D
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »17.12.15 - 21:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    _bigdan_
    Anyone with isochronous example code ? To support more webcams chips, it's a prerequired.

Bulk mode is a bit too prehistoric ;)

Arnaud
    that study old Sonix source code few years ago (thanks Corto !)
  • »18.12.15 - 22:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

_bigdan_ wrote:
    Anyone with isochronous example code ? To support more webcams chips, it's a prerequired.

Bulk mode is a bit too prehistoric ;)

Arnaud
    that study old Sonix source code few years ago (thanks Corto !)

No. There is only one standard these days. Far to late the USB consortium defined an standard for USB cameras, so once there is a proper driver for that, nearly all webcams you can buy right now will work without additional work. In fact any camera build within the last 5 years should work. I guess even older models,

Supporting those old crap cams makes no sense at all. Why dealing with resolutions less than 640x480, when all recent cams deliver HD resolutions by default.

[ Edited by geit 19.12.2015 - 02:29 ]
  • »19.12.15 - 01:27
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    _bigdan_
    Geit : true. Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 (1080p webcam) would be fine on MorphOS but support for a poor 'older model' like Eyetoy PS2 would be great too. Sonix is too limited !

At work, i use daily Hikvision and Axis POE Ipcams (PTZ and fixed models), it's another solution but we must implement drivers ;)

[ Edited by _bigdan_ 19.12.2015 - 07:39 ]
  • »19.12.15 - 07:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I like the idea of the PS2 EyeToy camera being useable on MorphOS, as they are still quite easy to acquire, and of course cheap, but do they use the Isochronous Mode or some other hybrid type of driver - if known?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »04.01.17 - 02:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Hi Andreas, Happy New Year, and thanks for the link to clear up that point - so they are Isochronous devices it seems. ;-)

I saw there was a small program for users on Windows to get the PS2 Eyetoy camera to be recognised on that OS, and used as a webcam.

However, I haven't seen that it is plug & play even on Windows, so do they work on Mac OSX or not - if known, and so would it just work with MorphOS if plugged in to a USB connection and be useable as a webcam or other type of camera for MorphOS?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »04.01.17 - 18:52
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Hi Andreas, Happy New Year, and thanks for the link to clear up that point - so they are Isochronous devices it seems. ;-)

I saw there was a small program for users on Windows to get the PS2 Eyetoy camera to be recognised on that OS, and used as a webcam.

However, I haven't seen that it is plug & play even on Windows, so do they work on Mac OSX or not - if known, and so would it just work with MorphOS if plugged in to a USB connection and be useable as a webcam or other type of camera for MorphOS?

I am curious why no one ever followed this up.
    I had always thought our current USB support was inadequate for this type of application.
    Frankly, I hate webcams, but I`ve been forced to use them to complete some tasks I have been assigned in a few courses I have taken recently.

Basic webcam software as well as video recording software would be nice, so do we at least have the latter?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »09.01.17 - 13:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I had always thought our current USB support was inadequate for this type of application.

Yes, and this is hopefully about to change with MorphOS 3.10 (see comment #9).
  • »09.01.17 - 14:01