NFS on MorphOS
  • Just looking around
    amiga23
    There have been some discussions recently on how to share files between computers and how to use NAS.

So far in the discussions there seemed to be only smbfs as an solution. smbfs is now natively supported in current MorphOS versions, so it is easy to use.

For me smbfs is not a solution.

I want to use a Raspberry Pi as server and I have several MorphOS and Amiga OS 3 computers. I am using git and svn to share my code and configurations between these computers and additionally I want to have a shared Download folder.
    I do not want to install samba on the Raspberry Pi as that would take additonal space and memory.
    So NFS seems to be the best solution for me, especially as it runs directly in the linux kernel.

From old discussions here in this forum and from searching via google there seems not be a native client for MorphOS, but there is AmiTCP for the good old m68k which does also run on MorphOS.

The only issue I do have with the AmiTCP NFS client is the fact that Ambient does not really like it. The icon does not appear on Ambient. It does appear in "My MorphOS" but Ambient does not show any fiiles and folders.
    With DOpus 4 I have the same issue.
    DOpus 5, DosControl V6.0 and the shell do work fine.

Any ideas if there is some trick to fix this or is it necessary to modify the Ambient code?
    Is the Ambient code on sourceforge still the one currently used in MorphOS 3.7?

I created an article on wordpress on how to setup a NFS client on MorphOS.
    https://amiga23.wordpress.com/2014/11/21/how-to-use-nfs-shares-on-morphos/

Any comments are highly welcome.
  • »21.11.14 - 11:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I'm running FreeNAS and am able to use MorphOS to map it. Works great for me.
  • »21.11.14 - 12:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    oops ;-)

[ Editiert durch polluks 26.11.2014 - 17:19 ]
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »21.11.14 - 14:13
    eliot
    Why don't you use ftp?
    regards
    eliot
  • »21.11.14 - 17:08
  • Just looking around
    amiga23
    The problems with ambient are fixed with the update provided on AmiNET from 2012. I thought this update does not work, but it does. Thanks for the comment on wordpress.

There seems to be some problem when deleting drawers from Ambient. It seems ambient follows the “..” directory entries and deletes all files on your whole share.

@polluks: What do mean? The ch_nfs* tools do only support NFSv2 therefor the NFS server has to be configured to support NFSv2 as they nowadays do only support NFSv4 on recent Linux distributions.

@eliot: FTP would not be so easy to use. But there is an FTP Handler on AmiNET which I remember to have used in the past (around the year 2000) on my A4000. There is also a special MorphOS version available. Maybe I will write another howto and create a new thread for FTP Topic.
  • »21.11.14 - 17:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > there is an FTP Handler on AmiNET which I remember to have used in the past
    > (around the year 2000) on my A4000. There is also a special MorphOS version
    > available. Maybe I will write another howto and create a new thread for FTP Topic.

In case you're talking about FTPMount here, the last mention on MorphZone was there:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7097&forum=9&start=10

It would indeed be interesting to have this topic revisited.
  • »22.11.14 - 01:18
  • Just looking around
    amiga23
    I've created another howto and thread about FTPMount:
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10342&forum=3
  • »22.11.14 - 09:43
    eliot
    Beside ftp, it would be nice to have NFS support on MorphOs

[ Edited by eliot 22.11.2014 - 16:05 ]
    regards