Ideas how i can but MOS3.7 without removin MOS1.4.5?
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Ideas how i can but MOS3.7 without removing MOS1.4.5?
    one solution is i change partions. and but both own partition then is one
    problem if i understand correctly mos boot partion must be selected bootable. adn two this kind partions is problem in sametime? any ideas. one tthings i know how i can sort them out (my current partition system new organisation which must be do carefully) but others are thing what i cannot solve itself is two bootable partitions problem. There is few reasons why i want MOS3.7
    someday: (early next year if all goes well)
    - 1920x1200 support(I simply cannot get resolution work with old Ambient even i can still do such mode!)
    - DVD burning tool
    and i must then boot using openfirm ware command lne to select what i want use to boot.
    Only big problem if i udnetstand correct i dont should install 3.7 top of 1.4.5. becouse i want use old settings for MUI,and some programs also installed MOS partition their own data.
  • »12.10.14 - 23:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    You can assign different boot priorities for your system partitions (a value from .-127 to 128)
    Since the 1.4.5 kernel doesn't support as many boot parameters as the 2.x/3.x do I think it is required to make the priority of the 1.4.5 system partition higher.

There's also a (some?) boot menu for the smart firmware available (forth script), during my pegasos days I didn't used that for some reason (dunno, maybe it was some Pegasos1 specific reason) , but they should work.

I had one small ffs partition (no automount) for the several boot images and two sfs partitions: one for 1.4.5 the other for 2.x. And of course other common data/application partitions.

IIRC it's really not recommended to install 3.x over 1.4.5, but make a clean new install in this special case. Too many things changed.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »13.10.14 - 00:18
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    How i can move my settings and program spefic files is very time consoming process allready get MUI settings way what i want.
    Or is all non system speffic files outside mossys (i if i remember folder name wrong please correc it) folder what i think is place where morphos itself lives?
    and what is partition priority order is -127 smallest and 128 is highest?

ps. i list biggest os speffic features. what i count also buring tool becouse comes with OS cd.
  • »13.10.14 - 02:24
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I have bootcreator menu in my Pegasos 1 and I can boot with it to 1.4.5 and 3.x, and other options like to boot from CD and to OF prompt. 1.4.5 and 3.x are on separate partitions and partition to boot from is defined in bootcreator by bd (boot-device) option. Both also have differently named boot.img files in the small boot file partition. In practise I've just edited one bootcreator script to my needs always when my setups have been changed.

MUI settings are stored in SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/MUI (envarc:) dir. They are named by the program, so it's quite easy to copy them over to new system, but if you have used static paths for some images etc settings, remember that they match in new system too.

Anyway, I'd check whole ENVARC: dir what should be copied to new system. And other dirs in SYS: too, like C, L, Libs etc. But before copying all over to SYS: check MOSSYS: if there are same files provided by default on MorphOS nowadays, better use built-in options if they exist. Many things are now included since 1.4.5 times.
  • »13.10.14 - 06:38
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Looks like easy way is install clean partition this new os and copy all files form 1.4.5 expect them what allready exits in 3.7 installation (such copying is easy using directory opus) ? i hope its so easy. if so i do it soon and get mos3.7 (or later if we get new version before i have money buy it) next year if all goes well many things what are not related me. Only few partition related things are bit hard i must move m current one system by hand luckily i have backup these inoriginal hd where i copied stuff in new hd. When is very safe operation. Even more becouse i changed hd only needing bigger not reason old hd dont work well.
    and very likely i dont need much 1.4.5 after 3.7. I dont know any reason expect testing if code something works old or not. and if there is bugs what kind bugs they are... i want support also 1.4.5 if there is any reason support only later systems.
    Totally offtopic: to me i dont have custom mui setting for differnet programs. to me such a thing sounds silly. to me GUI should be similar in all programs makes using harder is not true...' to me custom guis removes one important points of GUI. like some programs have different order thier for example ok and cancel buttons than os standrdard way (which if i remember correctly is different in Mac OS X than Windows) this comment is not related MOS but GUI...
    ps. very likely i going code and use few amiga speffic programs what i like.
  • »13.10.14 - 07:00
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Now i look if hd partition tool is 3.7 better becouse if so is much nicer operation do this.
  • »13.10.14 - 07:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > bootcreator

More recent version:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120418183158/http://www.tbs-software.com/morgoth/files/bootcreator-1.2.lha
  • »13.10.14 - 11:43
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Is possible get all settings and old non os related noot partion data copying all form 1.4.5 exepct place where mossys: is assigned? (folder which starts with M i think).
  • »13.10.14 - 22:57
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Is possible get all settings and old non os related noot partion data copying all form 1.4.5 exepct place where mossys: is assigned? (folder which starts with M i think i dont remember now exact name).
  • »13.10.14 - 23:29
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    You only need stuff from ENVARC. In your case I would only copy MUI master settings file and not copy any other system setting files. They are old, lot of things changed from 1.4 to 2.0. For example you dont need 3rd party TCP/IP stack anymore.

Also, you cant copy system stuff directly from SYS (by excluding MOSSYS path) because scripts in S can be outdated. I would just use clean install and manually copy required files from old 1.4 install.

If you copied stuff directly from old SYS: you would overwrite some newer stuff in Utilitites, Tools and Prefs dirs. You would also get mix of outdated and new versions of programs, for example PegasosMixer was replaced by Mixer application.

When you have got MorphOS 3.7 running it will be easier as incremental update is supported.

[ Edited by itix 14.10.2014 - 07:31 ]
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »14.10.14 - 08:27
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    I try hand copying is SLOW process.
    ps. I hope i can get all programs what i need working. I mean old classic amiga softwares what i need. and i want run them in pegasos becouse more memory and more speed i think even.
  • »14.10.14 - 15:09
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Bootcreator exact tips needed if i have partition which has 1.4.5 and another has 3.7. i can put boot.img files for both same partition but how 3.7 installation knows use own files and same for 1.4.5.
  • »14.10.14 - 15:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Bootcreator exact tips needed

It comes with documentation, I think.

> i have partition which has 1.4.5 and another has 3.7. [...] but how 3.7
    > installation knows use own files and same for 1.4.5.

They know it because they reside on different partitions, which have different device names.
  • »14.10.14 - 15:42