Opus 5
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    kas1e
    We release new stable verions (5.91) of dopus5 for os3/os4/aros(arm and i386) , but we still looking for capable morphos coder who want to spend 1-2 days of his life to fix 2-3 morphos-only bugs which are important and while they stay, we can't release morphos version together with all others. Anyone ?

Btw, jPV is right, that one: http://kas1e.mikendezign.com/misc/dopus5/opus_installed_original_582.lha , are pure 5.80 with applied patches till 5.82, without any changes. So for morphos it probably the best to get that one without needs to worry with 5.80 and manually adding patches. It also uploaded on dopus5.org with some simple readme (check at bottom of dopus5.org page)

[ Edited by kas1e 31.08.2015 - 09:41 ]
  • »31.08.15 - 10:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    OK, I did it, better late than never I guess :)

Here is a tutorial how to install and tune the original 68k version of Directory Opus Magellan 2 on the MorphOS machine:
    http://library.morph.zone/How_to_Install_Directory_Opus_Magellan_II

We'll see if I add a section for the new open source version some day...

Great tutorial jPV!

Can we bribe you into doing more tutorials, or documentation guides for other applications, or utilities, or games installations? This one for DOpus Magellan is maybe the best I have ever read.

I never used DOpus or Magellan much years ago (though I had purchased it), as Disk Master 2 did everything that I usually needed from a file utility and it was less complicated (plus I found it first, before trying DOpus), so I never took the time to learn all the features of DOpus, but remember how much it was praised by most other Amiga users. With your tutorial, I might have another look at what it can do and decide to install and use it.

Thanks again for such a detailed tutorial on how to make it work best with MorphOS.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »01.09.15 - 03:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    So then no MorphOS developers interested in bugfixing DirOpus?

Are you all too busy in make Ambient a windows manager interface better of Directory Opus?

Well my thoughts are: "the more windows managers for MorphOS, the merrier!"...

You know, you can't simply rely on official interface only... ;-)

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte 06.09.2015 - 17:43 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »06.09.15 - 17:40
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

Raf_MegaByte wrote:
    So then no MorphOS developers interested in bugfixing DirOpus?

Are you all too busy in make Ambient a windows manager interface better of Directory Opus?

Well my thoughts are: "the more windows managers for MorphOS, the merrier!"...

You know, you can't simply rely on official interface only... ;-)

Dir Opus is the most underrated piece of software ever. It was underrated on AmigaOS when people couldn't get past DOpus4 or its ugly topaz out-of-the-box setup, it's underrated on Windows now in a world where people don't care about file handling. It's always had its fans who have understood its sheer power but never enough it seems. If the icon issue and the WB replacement problems were fixed, DOpus5 would be a much, much better desktop than Ambient. I'm guessing that the devs who have the skill and the time just never got into it, just like the majority of the poor ignorant masses.

(Itix never liked it much. I tried to beat the love of DOpus into him in #amigazeux, but I never could get it through. I should have tried something heavier.)

Ironically, the only people who had any respect for the power of DOpus 5 were the same people who tried to keep it out of the hands of the rest of the Amiga community by constantly offering Greg Perry a contract they had no intention of meeting. Lucky for us, Perry was a better man and just opened the source so we could all have it. Unluckily for us, we've met his magnanimousness by just trying to pretend DOpus5 never existed and that Ambient was ever worthy to kiss its boots.... :)

[ Edited by KennyR 06.09.2015 - 19:36 ]
  • »06.09.15 - 18:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    weiseb
    I would still like to have an updated Dopus for Morphos. If there is somebody willing and able to fix the Morphos related problems I would donate a some bucks.
  • »06.09.15 - 19:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > [...] the same people who tried to keep it out of the hands of the rest of the Amiga
    > community by constantly offering Greg Perry a contract they had no intention of meeting.
    > Lucky for us, Perry was a better man and just opened the source so we could all have it.

To put that into perspective, he gave the source code for the payment of 4148 USD at a point in time when earlier offers/contracts were nullified and no other serious offers were in place or in sight.
  • »07.09.15 - 02:41
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    kas1e
    @KennyR
    Probably Itix can be the best person to choice who can fix those bugs, as he already working on dopus5 in past. I trying to motivate him about 3-4 times year or so ago, but his motivation never back sadly.. Dunno why, he already made bunch of fixes which make morphos version be almost ready, and give up just on latest few bugs .. If you can somehow motivate him that will be good.

@Itix
    What if we will collect some buks (100,200,300,500 ?) for you just to fix (i rechecked it now) 4 morphos specific bugs (important of which i think just 2).

@All
    Only one (Polluks) show interest to help with morphos version, i added him some days ago.
  • »07.09.15 - 12:02
    Cool_amigaN
    I truly hope someone picks up latest version of DOpus for MorphOS. Perhaps a small bounty could be set up for this purpose if the bugs aren't that difficult to fix. Hope Itix, or anybody else can do it :)
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »07.09.15 - 14:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    I truly hope someone picks up latest version of DOpus for MorphOS. Perhaps a small bounty could be set up for this purpose if the bugs aren't that difficult to fix. Hope Itix, or anybody else can do it :)

Yes, the bounty option seems to be the only way to attract a programmer able enough to fix the latest version of DOpus for MorphOS. If someone activates the bounty I'll donate 50-100 Euros.

Itix? Are you interested?
    Others? Please wake up!
    Powered by PegasosII-G4, MacMini, PowerMac MDD.
  • »07.09.15 - 22:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

DoctorMorbius_FP wrote:
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:

Yes, the bounty option seems to be the only way to attract a programmer able enough to fix the latest version of DOpus for MorphOS. If someone activates the bounty I'll donate 50-100 Euros.

Others? Please wake up!

Although all my liquid money are at the moment used for saving stray cats and dogs in 3 different emergencies, I think I could make a sacrifice and donate 10 euro... :-)
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »08.09.15 - 01:54
    Jambalah
    Quote:

DoctorMorbius_FP wrote:

Others? Please wake up!

+1
    I love Ambient as is: clean and practical. I would love something more too: Ambient could have the "easy" option and the "hard" option. For all flavours then.
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »08.09.15 - 08:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Nah, it is not about money, it is about time :) And that I am not using Magellan, I never really used it so it is not in my area of interest. But I can check source code next week, build it and look at bugs if any.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »08.09.15 - 10:56
    Cool_amigaN
    Finally! That is great!
    I truly hope the bugs are minor and you can iron them out easily. Can't wait to test the newer version asap :)
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »08.09.15 - 11:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    Nah, it is not about money, it is about time :) And that I am not using Magellan, I never really used it so it is not in my area of interest. But I can check source code next week, build it and look at bugs if any.

Well, if you will be so kind to remove the 2-3 important bugs in the MorphOS version mentioned by kas1e (bugs that -I fear- affect also the OS3 version run on MorphOS in compatibility mode) I will appreciate very much. And I will donate directly to you (unless you explicitly forbid me to do that) just to show you in a tangible way how much I will be glad. I can also help in the testing phase, if needed.

Once the few main incompatibilities that DOpus 5.91 exhibits on MorphOS will be removed, the elimination of residual minor bugs should be a much less difficult task and hopefully they could be general problems solvable by many programmers in the larger OS3-OS4-Aros-MorphOS context. Everything will become much easier in this case (and itix will live quiet...).

[ Edited by DoctorMorbius_FP 09.09.2015 - 17:39 ]