MorphOS on Emulation
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    Main reason I don't use MorphOS much is because it needs dedicated hardware. And the reason I will never buy MorphOS is because a registered copy is locked to that hardware.Thanks to UAE, these silly artificial limitation are not there for old AmigaOS, and also not for AROS, so those are what I use most. And soon maybe OS4.1. I understand MorphOS developers, they just want an OS for themselves and do not really care about the user base, by registering you basically paying to be allowed to be an annoying user :)
    -- kolla
  • »21.12.14 - 19:18
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    As long as WinUAE is not capable to run MorphOS it is pointless.

Hmm... I think AmigaOS was locked to specific hardware. I recall there were different Kickstarts for different models and they were not interchangeable. But could be I remember it wrong.

[ Edited by itix 21.12.2014 - 22:46 ]
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »21.12.14 - 20:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    diezi7
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    As long as WinUAE is not capable to run MorphOS it is pointless.

Hmm... I think AmigaOS was locked to specific hardware. I recall there were different Kickstarts for different models and they were not interchangeable. But could be I remember it wrong.

Itix said a lot more than I was thinking of

You just can't run workbench on a Pentium Pro,
    It was designed to run on dedicated hardware with
    Motorola 68k processors...

Use MorphOS if is fills your needs,
    in other case, switch to AROS,
    that option is the best if you don't look
    for dedicated hardware
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1,25 dual (Registered)
    Pegasos II G4 (not working)
    Powerbook G4 1.0 15"
    -=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=
    http://amigalandia.blogspot.com.es/
  • »21.12.14 - 22:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> a registered copy is locked to that hardware.Thanks to UAE, these silly
    >> artificial limitation are not there for old AmigaOS

> I think AmigaOS was locked to specific hardware. I recall there were different
    > Kickstarts for different models and they were not interchangeable.

But you can use the same Kickstart on a different machine of the same model, whereas you cannot do this with the MorphOS keyfile. I think that's the locking kolla was talking about.
  • »21.12.14 - 23:49
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    Indeed, that was what I meant. As for kickstarts, I have assembled custom 3.9 kickstarts dedicated for my various systems for years, nothing magic about that.
    -- kolla
  • »22.12.14 - 00:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

kolla wrote:
    Main reason I don't use MorphOS much is because it needs dedicated hardware. And the reason I will never buy MorphOS is because a registered copy is locked to that hardware.Thanks to UAE, these silly artificial limitation are not there for old AmigaOS, and also not for AROS, so those are what I use most. And soon maybe OS4.1. I understand MorphOS developers, they just want an OS for themselves and do not really care about the user base, by registering you basically paying to be allowed to be an annoying user :)

Why would it be locked to that hardware? If your Apple machine breaks, then show proof to the MorphOS team.

I wouldnt see why they couldnt work with you on installing that on another machine. RIGHT? MorphOS Team??

So if the above sentence is true, then that takes care of that issue.

As far as OS4.1, how functional is it on WinUAE? Not much. Once it is, and you buy it, then good for you.
  • »22.12.14 - 04:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> a registered copy is locked to that hardware.Thanks to UAE, these silly
    >> artificial limitation are not there for old AmigaOS

> I think AmigaOS was locked to specific hardware. I recall there were different
    > Kickstarts for different models and they were not interchangeable.

But you can use the same Kickstart on a different machine of the same model, whereas you cannot do this with the MorphOS keyfile. I think that's the locking kolla was talking about.

In practise you can do that but how many Amigans really do that? Besides, Commodore sold you new Kickstart with each machine, no matter had you one already or not.
  • »22.12.14 - 06:46
  • Just looking around
    You're mixing up the concepts. What kolla means is that Morphos is restricted to one piece of hardware by license. The Amiga systems you're referring to is restricted by physical compatibility issues, if at all.

I agree with kolla that the license model is awful. Not only because the locking thing, but also by the fact that the license forbids you to use Morphos with an emulator. Modern operating systems are supposed to be virtualized for damn sake.

Anyway, as I see it, Morphos is nothing more than a toy which can be fun to use occasionally. Therefore I've registered it for my Powerbook, despite the ugly terms.
  • »22.12.14 - 08:03
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

johey wrote:
    You're mixing up the concepts. What kolla means is that Morphos is restricted to one piece of hardware by license. The Amiga systems you're referring to is restricted by physical compatibility issues, if at all.

When you buy Amiga you are forced to buy Kickstart with it. If your Amiga breaks you must buy a new one and with new copy of AmigaOS.

If you buy AmigaOS update it is not restricted to one computer only but MorphOS updates are free.

AmigaOS has advantage if you are using WinUAE. You can get old, broken, Amiga 500/1200 what grants you a valid Kickstart license to be used on UAE and you can transfer UAE to other machine at any time.

Quote:

I agree with kolla that the license model is awful. Not only because the locking thing, but also by the fact that the license forbids you to use Morphos with an emulator. Modern operating systems are supposed to be virtualized for damn sake.

Amiga PowerUP license forbids that. Could be MorphOS 3.7 forbids that too or not, I have no chance to verify it now right here. But still, there is no VM that could run MorphOS 3.7 so it is not very relevant.

Quote:

Anyway, as I see it, Morphos is nothing more than a toy which can be fun to use occasionally. Therefore I've registered it for my Powerbook, despite the ugly terms.

Toys are supposed to be fun to use, at least sometimes :)
  • »22.12.14 - 08:31
  • Just looking around
    MOS applies enforced restrictions while AOS does it by having parts of the OS in hardware ROM chips. That's completely different. You can still use your old Workbench disks from your A500 on another A500 or even an A1200 with another kickstart if you like. You can also rip your ROM from one computer and use it either by soft kicking or program it into a ROM chip, without enforced restrictions like with MOS (although in some circumstances you might violate the EULA by doing it).

Practically it has a big effect on emulation/virtualization. As you know there is no problem to run multiple instances of Amiga emulators on one machine with a completely different architecture. You can actually do it legally as well via Amiga Forever.

Quote:

itix wrote:
    But still, there is no VM that could run MorphOS 3.7 so it is not very relevant.

Who knows if there would be one if it was allowed? The technique is known and there are components ready to be put together to make this happening.

Quote:

Toys are supposed to be fun to use, at least sometimes :)

Indeed. That's why I recently bought a license anyway. :)
  • »22.12.14 - 09:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> there is no VM that could run MorphOS 3.7 so it is not very relevant.

> Who knows if there would be one if it was allowed?

To my knowledge, it is allowed. Opposed to MorphOS 1.4.5 for PowerUP, MorphOS 2.x/3.x doesn't have any restriction in this regard license-wise.

> The technique is known and there are components ready to be put together
    > to make this happening.

There has been some serious attempt recently, but it seems to have been abandoned (see posting #12 in this very thread).
  • »22.12.14 - 10:26
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

johey wrote:
    MOS applies enforced restrictions while AOS does it by having parts of the OS in hardware ROM chips. That's completely different. You can still use your old Workbench disks from your A500 on another A500 or even an A1200 with another kickstart if you like.

To be pedantic the operating system is not on Workbench disks.

Quote:

You can also rip your ROM from one computer and use it either by soft kicking or program it into a ROM chip, without enforced restrictions like with MOS (although in some circumstances you might violate the EULA by doing it).

You can do that but you are not allowed to use ROM copy simultaneously with the original ROM. If you had ten Amiga 1200s (lets say, in a school, Amiga was used in elementary schools even in late 90s here in Finland) you would still have to buy 10 copies if you were upgrading to 3.1/3.5/3.9.

Quote:

Practically it has a big effect on emulation/virtualization. As you know there is no problem to run multiple instances of Amiga emulators on one machine with a completely different architecture. You can actually do it legally as well via Amiga Forever.

When you buy Amiga Forever you buy another set of Kickstart ROMs with it.
  • »22.12.14 - 11:59
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

kolla wrote:

AmigaOS 4 needs it too. NEVER is a strong word, especially since you do have account here, so you must have some interest in MorphOS.

1 license per computer isn`t that strong serious limit IF ONE license can be transferred to another user/same users another machine. So mechanism can be developed.

What I find surprising is that so many users are against virtualization. Its not about trend but ability to test, run software, develop even if main hardware isn`t present.

Also, its about selling software legally, and since MorphOS is kind of hardware vendor independent, that should be interest (e.g. as much as WinUAE emulation can boost AOS 4 sales, it could MorphOS ones. Not significantly that it becomes dominant, but relatively to company it can be interesting source of income).

Is it only fear of piracy or "old school" ties to real, visible, "feely" hardware
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »30.12.14 - 18:52