OWB and Wikipedia
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    add some more hope that the web browser will be based on recent engine, and not just some quick fix (like the memory leak and Gmail logging).

An engine update won't happen in 3.10.
  • »08.12.17 - 12:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Quote:

ASiegel schrieb:
    @ polluks

Have you tried Odyssey v1.23?

Indeed, the old version works :-)
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »08.12.17 - 18:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > An engine update won't happen in 3.10.

That's unfortunate.
  • »08.12.17 - 19:12
    polluks
    We should have quick browser updates independent of the OS like in the beginning.
  • »09.12.17 - 11:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    We should have quick browser updates independent of the OS like in the beginning.

What we should have is more MorphOS programmers, either on the official Dev. Team, or for 3rd party (outside the OS) software creation, or both.

Wasn't Odyssey open sourced a while back? Why don't we have more programmers helping out, to keep it updated, and to help solve the endian problem that was introduced to the Webkit source code a long time ago?

I'm guessing it is the same reason we don't have a modern word processor/office suite, and a lot of other software, a general lack of qualified programmers willing to code for obscure niche OSes. Unfortunately, this problem is likely to only get worse, and might be the cause of death eventually, for MorphOS.

I really hope the MorphOS Dev. Team can create the x64 version in a way that solves, or at least improves the chances for a solution to this problem.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »10.12.17 - 01:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I really hope the MorphOS Dev. Team can create the x64 version in a way that solves, or at least improves the chances for a solution to this problem.

I really hope there will be some MorphOS users left by that time.
  • »10.12.17 - 15:45
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

I really hope there will be some MorphOS users left by that time.

Well...all this pressure to get the X64 fork ready AND keep up dating the current fork, OWB, and other packages.
    And only a few developers and programmers, all to benefit a few hundred people...

I'd be satisfied with X5000 and PowerMac 11,2 support, and a decision to open up the OS and broaden the developer base of our current OS.

X64? Eventually...but keeping updated seems more important.

At this rate, the PPC fork seems to be losing users, and the X64 fork appears to be delayed.

I can wait, as can many of you other die hard users, but the more casual users...I think we're losing those.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »10.12.17 - 19:27
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    I can wait, as can many of you other die hard users, but the more casual users...I think we're losing those.

Especially when people are talking about x64 release being certain and close all the time now, and that can cause those casual users think that they'll wait for x64 and then forget the whole thing. I think we (users) should still concentrate more to PPC and talk less about x64, at least until there is some official statements or something visible of the architecture switch. I think people went to "wait state" way too early and that hurts activity and userbase.
  • »10.12.17 - 20:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

jPV schrieb:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

Especially when people are talking about x64 release being certain and close all the time now, and that can cause those casual users think that they'll wait for x64 and then forget the whole thing. I think we (users) should still concentrate more to PPC and talk less about x64, at least until there is some official statements or something visible of the architecture switch. I think people went to "wait state" way too early and that hurts activity and userbase.

I think/hope the 3.10 Release will bring back a bit of momentum. Currently we really have a bit of a Motivation/progress Problem. We all _know_ development is ongoing, but most of us _feel_ stagnation.
    I really hope the release will make it soon, as my impression is ppl get a bit nervous/pessimistic.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »10.12.17 - 23:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Release early, release often.

Big monolithic releases aren't helping at all. Some kind of rolling release with system level individual package management would be great but I won't hold my breath.

I haven't used morphos for months and then it was only port some code my friend wrote which was a PITA due to Git not working and the browser being dire.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »11.12.17 - 01:18
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Quote:

In this very case, a part of the delay is due to a request to remove/rewrite some of the code&art.
    A too early release would have been either illegal, missing stuff or even broken (not even boot...)
  • »11.12.17 - 09:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Henes wrote:
    Quote:

In this very case, a part of the delay is due to a request to remove/rewrite some of the code&art.
    A too early release would have been either illegal, missing stuff or even broken (not even boot...)

Individual package management would have helped there. Just update the bits you can update as and when is possible.

A princess throwing a tantrum and insisting you remove their pretty pictures etc wouldn't have caused such a delay then.

Hindsight is wonderful though I guess.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »11.12.17 - 10:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Henes schrieb:
    Quote:

I hope you have a better use right now for the provided work. Not that we get in similar trouble when the next dev develops some divaesque behaviour and pulls the trigger.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »11.12.17 - 10:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    It would be a mistake to blame the much delayed release on a single individual only.

It would be also wrong to imply that the release was somehow delayed merely because of "pretty pictures". The artwork required very few replacements (relatively few - most changes in 3.10 were made voluntarily, not because it was mandatory). The real changes happened elsewhere.

As has been mentioned a few times, the development of MorphOS 3.10 is in its final stretch. There is really no need to get overly dramatic at this stage.

@ intuition

Quote:

Individual package management would have helped there. Just update the bits you can update as and when is possible.

I am sure this sounds great in theory but there are good practical reasons why billion dollar companies such as Microsoft or Apple push out one big feature release every year. Yet, even they get frequently criticized for releasing insufficiently polished releases (especially Apple) and are often asked to reconsider their strict annual release schedule.
  • »11.12.17 - 12:53
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:

It does not work like that. Components rarely work in a vacuum. They rely on each other and once you get a dependency on something in the boot.img there's nothing you can do but to provide a full ISO release.

Ideally there would be a release every 3 mo or so (which is always the initial plan ;)...
  • »11.12.17 - 13:00
    Profile Visit Website
    polluks
    Quote:

jacadcaps schrieb:
    Ideally there would be a release every 3 mo or so (which is always the initial plan ;)...

Well, I still have the old Pegasos flyer: "SMP support" SCNR
  • »12.12.17 - 00:19
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    Well, I still have the old Pegasos flyer: "SMP support" SCNR

Just a reminder: That flyer was not created by the MorphOS development team...
  • »12.12.17 - 02:55