FinalWriter!
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > He would be willing to sell the source rights; but no one in all these years
    > has mentioned money sufficient enough for him to take the offer seriously.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39672&forum=32 :-)

Not only was he willing he was extremely friendly. :) I cannot disclose the price agreed upon however I think it's a fair deal.
  • »12.12.14 - 17:06
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    The source code is worth zero now lying on his compact disc

Chuckles ... Tape drive. :)
  • »12.12.14 - 17:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @terminills

This is awesome! Sign me up for a MorphOS copy! :-D
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »12.12.14 - 19:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

terminills schrieb:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Not only was he willing he was extremely friendly. :) I cannot disclose the price agreed upon however I think it's a fair deal.

That is indeed quite good news. Office software is what's missing most. Although I only used Wordworth and AmigaWriter in the past on Amiga (and Beckertext in the real early years) I am glad FW is saved for future now. Good move.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »12.12.14 - 21:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

terminills schrieb:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

That is indeed quite good news. Office software is what's missing most. Although I only used Wordworth and AmigaWriter in the past on Amiga (and Beckertext in the real early years) I am glad FW is saved for future now. Good move.

Development has officially started on Final Writer. :)
  • »27.05.15 - 13:43
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    WB_Coder
    Quote:

terminills wrote:

What are the aims of your work that has just officially started on Final Writer? To just port it to AROS, or are you aiming at an AmigaOS4.x and MorphOS release as well, so you can sell more copies and recoup your purchase price, plus maybe a little extra to pay for the new development work? Or, are you thinking of improving the functionality of Final Writer during the process of porting it to AROS, AmigaOS4.x, and MorphOS?

If the aim is to add new features during the porting process, will you also release a new and improved AmigaOS3.x version of Final Writer, with any improvements back ported to the original Final Writer code? Although Final Data was very basic and not as useful as a full featured database program, are you planning on porting it as well, or replacing it with a better database application, to create a more full featured office suite?

Will the work on Final Writer include any work to improve printing capabilities, or will you depend on the existing printing support that is built-in with the target operating system of each release?

Lots of questions, just wondering what you have planned for the future and if you have considered any of these questions in your planning?
    WB_Coder = Wanna Be Coder
  • »27.05.15 - 17:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

terminills wrote:

More info than just a tease is needed :-) Most important would be the ability to communicate with the outside world standards.
  • »27.05.15 - 18:52
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

terminills wrote:

More info than just a tease is needed :-) Most important would be the ability to communicate with the outside world standards.

That is where competing projects seem to have an edge.
    That and a more modern look and feel.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »27.05.15 - 20:04
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

WB_Coder wrote:
    Quote:

terminills wrote:

What are the aims of your work that has just officially started on Final Writer? To just port it to AROS, or are you aiming at an AmigaOS4.x and MorphOS release as well, so you can sell more copies and recoup your purchase price, plus maybe a little extra to pay for the new development work? Or, are you thinking of improving the functionality of Final Writer during the process of porting it to AROS, AmigaOS4.x, and MorphOS?

It is going cross platform ie a native version for each platform. New features are planned but it will take time to get them implemented.

Quote:

If the aim is to add new features during the porting process, will you also release a new and improved AmigaOS3.x version of Final Writer, with any improvements back ported to the original Final Writer code? Although Final Data was very basic and not as useful as a full featured database program, are you planning on porting it as well, or replacing it with a better database application, to create a more full featured office suite?

I do hope to eventually have a full blown native office suite

Quote:

Will the work on Final Writer include any work to improve printing capabilities, or will you depend on the existing printing support that is built-in with the target operating system of each release?

Printing is up to the OS. That being said Final Writer never supported 24 bit printing and that will change now.

Quote:

Lots of questions, just wondering what you have planned for the future and if you have considered any of these questions in your planning?

I have considered many things and would love to say the next release will include feature xyz. However I plan on being realistic and will work on making sure each version will have each feature that is implemented being implemented correctly.
  • »27.05.15 - 20:27
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

terminills wrote:

Obviously importing/exporting ODF is very important and will be supported eventually but I make no promises as to when it will be supported. :)

[ Edited by terminills 27.05.2015 - 19:56 ]
  • »27.05.15 - 20:56
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    WB_Coder
    Quote:

terminills wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

terminills wrote:

Obviously importing/exporting ODF is very important and will be supported eventually but I make no promises as to when it will be supported. :)

Thanks for the info.

I hope that native versions will be released, before you try to solve all the problems, or add a ton of additional features, as it is reasonable to expect new features to take much longer than just porting the existing source code to PPC for MorphOS and AmigaOS4.x, and multiple platforms for AROS. It would be nice to have a working, but possibly limited, version for MorphOS, AmigaOS4.x, and AROS, while you continue down the long road toward providing new features and adding other office suite applications.
    WB_Coder = Wanna Be Coder
  • »28.05.15 - 03:18
  • rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

terminills wrote:

Have you tried Cinamon Writer. It already has support for docX but the formatting is out on the current public release.
    Back at the end of March Desler was asking for testers with a good working knowledge of Word in order to help improve compatibily.

http://bb3.amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40066&forum=32&16

http://desler.be/modules/wfchannel/
  • »28.05.15 - 19:14
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    What is going on with this thread?
    When I try to access it from the home page, I gets a notice that it doesn't exist an I get dropped back to the forums page where I can access it.
    WTF?
  • »29.05.15 - 18:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    defender
    Quote:

When I try to access it from the home page, I gets a notice that it doesn't exist an I get dropped back to the forums page where I can access it.
    WTF?

It seems the Morphzone page shows 5 pages but we are at page 4 now, so clicking at page
    5 is not possible.
    PowerMac 3.6 - Radeon 9000_64Mb - 1,5Gb Ram - SB Live - MorphOS 3.9
    CD32 TF330 SILP Wifi- PowerBook 1,67GHz 1GB/100GB - MorphOS 3 reg. 1455 IMac Isight
  • »29.05.15 - 21:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

defender wrote:
    Quote:

WTF?

It seems the Morphzone page shows 5 pages but we are at page 4 now, so clicking at page
    5 is not possible.

Interesting bug.
    Makes you wonder what caused the page count to be off.

So, if I am counting right, we have four word processors in active development.
  • »29.05.15 - 23:20
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

defender wrote:
    Quote:

WTF?

5 is not possible.

I just figured we needed enough posts to make it to 5 pages. :)
  • »29.05.15 - 23:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiga4001
    Hope this will end in a usable program.
    I use googledocs to open docx but this is slow.
    I would surely prefer a native solution and would be willing to pay a reasanoble amount for it.
    After all it's a hobby and that's ok for have to pay some extra.
    Powerbook 5,4 1.5GHz 1.5GB ram
  • »31.05.15 - 07:19
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

amiga4001 wrote:
    I would surely prefer a native solution and would be willing to pay a reasanoble amount for it.

:)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w131/Kalamatee/fw2015-002_zpsodazyfia.jpg
  • »06.06.15 - 14:08
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Jambalah
    Quote:

terminills wrote:

Cool!!!!
    Nice work man! It looks really promising.... :-)
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »06.06.15 - 15:09
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

terminills wrote:
    Quote:

amiga4001 wrote:

Getting closer. :)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w131/Kalamatee/FinalWriter2015-006_zps1e4ycd2e.jpg
  • »10.07.15 - 13:37
    Jambalah
    Nice piece of news and nice to see Final Writer walking to its goal.
    This is a real good work, man!
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »10.07.15 - 17:33
    tolkien
    Heeeey! This looks great! Only hope it' not very expensive. Thanks for the update.
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »10.07.15 - 20:18
  • Just looking around
    Boingmax
    Looks great - Any idea when it is ready for release ?
    http://boingsworld.de Podcast "roundabout" Amiga
  • »11.07.15 - 08:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

tolkien wrote:
    Heeeey! This looks great! Only hope it' not very expensive. Thanks for the update.

I'm planning on keeping it reasonable. :)
  • »11.07.15 - 15:36
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

Boingmax wrote:
    Looks great - Any idea when it is ready for release ?

Not yet but we're much closer to me feeling comfortable setting a firm deadline. :)
  • »11.07.15 - 15:37