X1000
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

The long story as told by Hyperion director Costel 'Cyborg' Mincea five days ago:

How or why anyone would work with any of these companies involved is beyond me. That thread is validating ever single negative yet obvious statement that has been said over the last 10+ years. 2018 most certainly appears to be the year anything and everything OS4 related dies off painfully.
  • »22.01.18 - 01:53
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

The long story as told by Hyperion director Costel 'Cyborg' Mincea five days ago:

How or why anyone would work with any of these companies involved is beyond me. That thread is validating ever single negative yet obvious statement that has been said over the last 10+ years. 2018 most certainly appears to be the year anything and everything OS4 related dies off painfully.

Kudos to Cyborg to bringing it to nearly functional state (and dont know why inclusion on FE disc).

Find it astonishing he was never sent another Nemo board to complete it. I would send mine to Germany
    to get thing done.

Sound driver was done, net driver, warp3D for all Radeon HD, Timberwolf done and Libre beta (CFE bugfixing ...) and it could be way more pleasent experience then it was.

I dont like OS4 will die out, but its easy to unerstand why and how.

[ Edited by vox 22.01.2018 - 18:30 ]
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »22.01.18 - 18:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Cyborg [...] was never sent another Nemo board to complete it.

If you take the time to read his posting to the end you'll find that he writes he was sent a replacement by A-Eon in 2015.
  • »22.01.18 - 20:07
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    read the costel post make me really happy with my choice of No More A-eon in My home...
    now i have a micro A1 the true real amigaone machine, the quad g5 the best powerpc desktop machine with the hope of morphos on it... and a threadripper 1950x that will make me happy emulating x5000
  • »23.01.18 - 15:08
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >micro A1

Ugh, flawed Northbridge.
    A Pegasos II maybe, any early AmigaOne, no thanks.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »23.01.18 - 16:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > micro A1 the true real amigaone machine

...that wasn't allowed to be officially called an "AmigaOne" ;-)
  • »23.01.18 - 16:41
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    >micro A1

Ugh, flawed Northbridge.
    A Pegasos II maybe, any early AmigaOne, no thanks.

no the pegasos2 is the best ng ever made . amen
  • »23.01.18 - 16:53
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

If you take the time to read his posting to the end you‘ll find that he writes he was sent a replacement by A-Eon in 2015.

Yes, few years late when he was under heavy x5000 development or similar. This gap to task wait seems to be crucial since there seems to be no one else assigned to task.
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »23.01.18 - 20:01
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

vox wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

If you take the time to read his posting to the end you‘ll find that he writes he was sent a replacement by A-Eon in 2015.

Yes, few years late when he was under heavy x5000 development or similar. This gap to task wait seems to be crucial since there seems to be no one else assigned to task.

Let's face it, the situation is pathetic. The more I compare the X1000 to the X5000/20, the greater my appreciation for the former is.
    Not a bad little system.
    Not as powerful as a Quad G5, but still pretty cool.

However, since we aren't likely to see MorphOS on an X1000 or a Quad G5...and things seem pretty terminal for big endian PPCs...it is what it is.
  • »23.01.18 - 21:37
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Let's face it, the situation is pathetic. The more I compare the X1000 to the X5000/20, the greater my appreciation for the former is.
    Not a bad little system.

However, since we aren't likely to see MorphOS on an X1000 or a Quad G5...and things seem pretty terminal for big endian PPCs...it is what it is.

PA Semi has awful MIPS per Mhz ratio degrading its 1.8Ghz nominal rating, but when used dual core, with FPU instructions, it has fast mem and SATA and board is quite expandable. Its bi-endian arhitecture, 64-bit, G5 class overall in all but integer performance. Too bad its not that easy to add support for another mobo with no financial stimulation (MorphOS). Its quite enjoyable under Linux, but sigh, change to Southern Island cards created no 3D problem under Linux, rendering many installations unusable incl. X1000 Ubuntu Remix sold by AEON. In the end there is no system that completely use it, and CFE is ... built for routers and should stay there.

saga of wasted computer potential. So contrary to Amiga spirit of squeezing maximimum out of it.
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »24.01.18 - 20:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:

Not a bad little system.

Best way out: Don't look back and welcome spectre/meltdown x64 ;-)
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »24.01.18 - 21:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

vox wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Not a bad little system.

PA Semi has awful MIPS per Mhz ratio degrading its 1.8Ghz nominal rating, but when used dual core, with FPU instructions, it has fast mem and SATA and board is quite expandable. Its bi-endian arhitecture, 64-bit, G5 class overall in all but integer performance. Too bad its not that easy to add support for another mobo with no financial stimulation (MorphOS). Its quite enjoyable under Linux, but sigh, change to Southern Island cards created no 3D problem under Linux, rendering many installations unusable incl. X1000 Ubuntu Remix sold by AEON. In the end there is no system that completely use it, and CFE is ... built for routers and should stay there.

saga of wasted computer potential. So contrary to Amiga spirit of squeezing maximimum out of it.

Yeah, but the system has a nice set of expansion slots backed up by more PCI-e channels.
    And the processor is slightly better than a G4 (as well as being full 64 bit).

The more I'm learning about the X5000's expansion , the more troubled I am about it's limitations. Then again there's the difference in memory bandwidth.
  • »25.01.18 - 03:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The more I'm learning about the X5000's expansion , the more troubled I am about
    > it's limitations. Then again there's the difference in memory bandwidth.

"Then again" or rather "furthermore"? ;-)
  • »25.01.18 - 11:52
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Grammatically, you are right to point that out.
    But actually my final comment was a bit recursive.

I am beginning to think the e5500 and e6500 cores may not be reaching anything close to their supposed memory bandwidth.
  • »25.01.18 - 13:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I am beginning to think the e5500 and e6500 cores may not be reaching
    > anything close to their supposed memory bandwidth.

If the cause of the memory performance issue is in the SoC, I think it's in the SoC's 'uncore' (memory controller) rather than its core.
  • »25.01.18 - 15:02
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

If the cause of the memory performance issue is in the SoC, I think it's in the SoC's 'uncore' (memory controller) rather than its core.

I'd like to see some bandwidth figures for the T10xx CPUs when interfaced with DDR4.
    The DDR3 controller used with other e5500 and e6500 cored CPUs does seem to be the issue.
  • »26.01.18 - 01:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

I'd like to see some bandwidth figures for the T10xx CPUs when interfaced with DDR4.
    The DDR3 controller used with other e5500 and e6500 cored CPUs does seem to be the issue.

I thought the memory bandwidth and speed for the X1000's PA6T, was one of its few advantages, when compared to the older Apple G4 & G5 computers? Or is the PA6T an exception for e6500 cored CPU's, when it comes to memory bandwidth?

It's probably that I'm not paying attention to this discussion, so I have made an incorrect assumption (again).

Edit: I probably should have changed "memory bandwidth" above, to read/write speed to RAM.

[ Edited by amigadave 27.01.2018 - 16:04 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »28.01.18 - 01:03
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

I thought the memory bandwidth and speed for the X1000's PA6T, was one of its few advantages, when compared to the older Apple G4 & G5 computers? Or is the PA6T an exception for e6500 cored CPU's, when it comes to memory bandwidth?

It's probably that I'm not paying attention to this discussion, so I have made an incorrect assumption (again).

Edit: I probably should have changed "memory bandwidth" above, to read/write speed to RAM.

Yep, I think Andreas mentioned this before in response to a similar comment.
    The PA6T in the X1000 was produced by PA Semi and does not use a Freescale core.
    And yes, it's got better memory bandwidth then a G4 (not sure about the G5 though) as well as the e5500 and e6500 based Socs.

So, even with older DDR2 memory, the X1000's memory controller performs much better than the X5000.
  • »28.01.18 - 03:20
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >"...The contract was signed at the Amiga 30th event in Peterborough, UK in August 2015..."

Two and a half years and they have not produced a working network driver, and along with De Groot, Mincea is now running Hyperion?

Guess they are just to 'busy' to complete a contract that has already been paid for. ;-)

Doesn't bode well for future support of older Aeon products.

For that matter, do any of the Aeon AmigaOne boards have functioning on-board network drivers (if not under OS4 then Linux at least)?

And we are complaining about the delay in the release of MorphOS 3.10 to WHAT end again?
    We don't pay for updates, and when our developers committed to projects in the past, they completed them.

[ Edited by Jim 01.03.2018 - 11:38 ]
  • »01.03.18 - 17:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > do any of the Aeon AmigaOne boards have functioning on-board network drivers
    > (if not under OS4 then Linux at least)?

OS4: no
    Linux: X1000/Nemo - yes, A1222/Tabor - probably yes, X5000/Cyrus - currently no
  • »01.03.18 - 23:04
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    xilinder
    IMHO.
    The PA6T (made by IBM) is under utilized on the X1000. The SB600 does most of the work and moves data to/fro the CPU through a single high speed pipeline. That includes the PCI network card.

Pretty much the X1k was a 'just-get-it-working' and kick it out the door type of project. I don't blame Trevor for the shortcomings. He is an AmigaNut, but not a hardware guy. If you think about it the X1k is not that much different than the A1SE/XE, which was supposed be a system only to get OS4 working on PPC. A development system, and it was sold as such. Unfortunately the A1XE somehow became the standard base design for all that followed. The XMOS chip has never been supported at a base level. Sad really, looks like the X5000 will follow suit, no innovation, nothing for the hardware enthusiasts, going to do everything in software. Pfffffft! Microsoft.

Of course you can't blame A-EON for everything when 90% of the squeaky wheels want a dirt cheap Amiga that most of them would not purchase anyway. And if they did they would want the OS for free.

The X1000 is a very good PPC Linux machine however, and CFE allows you to probe around the hardware and find some interesting undocumented features.

As my meaningless rants would only fall on deaf ears my X1k now sits in the closet along with other offerings to the Gods-of-technology.

Perhaps someday............. well, one can dream. :-)
  • »02.03.18 - 16:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > do any of the Aeon AmigaOne boards have functioning on-board network drivers
    > (if not under OS4 then Linux at least)?

OS4: no
    Linux: X1000/Nemo - yes, A1222/Tabor - probably yes, X5000/Cyrus - currently no

Of additional interest:
    from Jamie Krueger

If I read this correctly, even IF the driver being worked on currently was completed/released it would be (how to say this politely...) a handicapped driver?

• »02.03.18 - 18:48