Price of MorphOS license
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > since a product sales well, the price is not to high.
    > Same goes for MorphOS. [...] There is no reason to reduce prices.

Good to know the MorphOS team is content with the MorphOS sales numbers :-)

> peg1+2,efika,mini [...] or hardware which the Team did not expect
    > much sales from, is already handled at reduced price.

Thanks for clarifying how the decision to have different price categories has come about.

> No clue how many sam460 licences were sold, but I guess not even close to 10 by now

Pity, but this may have played a role:
    http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=11137&start=126

Recent example:
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=41093&forum=33&start=120#783358

Edit: added link to example

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 09.06.2016 - 17:35 ]
  • »08.06.16 - 14:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Pity, but this may have played a role:
    http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=11137&start=126

Probably has more to do with the fact it costs $1,000+ and gets smoked by a $25 Raspberry Pi, or any supported ancient Power Mac found out by the curb.

[ Edited by redrumloa 08.06.2016 - 12:04 ]
  • »08.06.16 - 15:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > it costs $1,000+

According to the ACube webstore, the Sam460cr mainboard starts at US$525 and full systems at US$839 (may be incl. VAT).

> and gets smoked by a $25 Raspberry Pi

No, it doesn't. You'd need at least a US$35 Raspberry Pi 2 for smoking the Sam460, and even then the Sam460 would win in most single-threaded tasks. To safely smoke the Sam460 also in single-threaded tasks, a US$35 Raspberry Pi 3 is required.

> or any supported ancient Power Mac

Not taking 3rd party accelerators into account, it would have to be at least a QuickSilver model.
  • »08.06.16 - 16:19
  • Just looking around
    FerociousAmiga
    @geit
    @Andreas_Wolf
    -Thanks for clarifying the cost and hardware.

-I did a fresh install of OSX Leopard and then MorphOS for duel booting. Working great. A bit more testing and at this rate I'm going to take the plunge for my PowerBook G4.

Don't want to deviate from the subject but...

@redrumloa
    Maybe a $35 RPi2 (ARM Cortex-A7 quad-core). Here are some benchmarks Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) w/ 2 CPUs vs iPad3,2 A7 dual-core.
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/compare/583223/583189

Also just noticed a paid version of AROS (AEROS) for the Raspberry Pi. Who knows how stable.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    MorphOS 3.9 (Licensed!)
    Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram, 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD)
    Amiga 1200, 68020
    Amiga 500
    Amiga 1000
  • »08.06.16 - 16:55
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > or any supported ancient Power Mac

Not taking 3rd party accelerators into account, it would have to be at least a QuickSilver model.

It is beat handily by a Sawtooth 500Mhz G4.

lame_benchmark.png
  • »08.06.16 - 17:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

FerociousAmiga wrote:
    Also just noticed a paid version of AROS (AEROS) for the Raspberry Pi. Who knows how stable.

It is a hosted on Linux version of AROS, so I don't see why it wouldn't be stable. It should be as stable as the Linux distro it is hosted on top of, which I would guess is very stable, since Linux has been running on the Raspberry Pi (original and later versions) for a long time.

I have been meaning to install and try AEROS on my RPi2 for the past year, but seem to always put off the installation in favor of doing something else instead. Maybe this month will be the month I get off my ass and get it installed, so I can see how far along AEROS has come, and how useful it would be for me to use as a media player on my big screen TV, as well as playing an occasional Amiga game via UAE, and a bit of web browsing from the living room couch, instead of turning on my Windows laptop.

If the performance is adequate (in my eyes), I think I will use it often, as I like the ideas and principles behind AEROS, meaning the combined ability to run an Amiga-Like (hate that term) OS, and also be able to run much more software (Linux content), seamlessly via the Linux OS hiding just under the skin of AEROS.

I understand that the idea of AEROS is repulsive to many long time Amiga users, but to each their own.

[ Edited by amigadave 08.06.2016 - 11:42 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »08.06.16 - 17:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

All that bluster from a few posters about users wanting "new" systems for nothing.

Isnt that how it always goes?

"IF we had X, man I would buy this or that! Well, I wont buy X because hardware is too old. Support something new! I'll buy it! Oh man, the OS is too expensive for outdated hardware! "
  • »08.06.16 - 19:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    FerociousAmiga
    So whats wrong about asking why the cost seems illogically high? And getting the logical explanation why it's justified for the hardware. If this bothers both of you then STFU don't answer cause you are not the ones developing the OS and interested in paying for my copy and anyone else asking the same.

Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

All that bluster from a few posters about users wanting "new" systems for nothing.

Isnt that how it always goes?

"IF we had X, man I would buy this or that! Well, I wont buy X because hardware is too old. Support something new! I'll buy it! Oh man, the OS is too expensive for outdated hardware! "

[ Edited by FerociousAmiga 08.06.2016 - 16:20 ]
    MorphOS 3.9 (Licensed!)
    Amiga 1200, 68020
    Amiga 500
    Amiga 1000
  • »08.06.16 - 20:15
  • ASiegel
    @ FerociousAmiga

TheMagicM was referring to people who had previously made fun of MorphOS for supporting only "smelly old used computers" and implied that the OS would be much more interesting if it ran on (more expensive) hardware that was new (but does not offer major performance gains compared to pre-owned Apple hardware, hence seems "outdated" to some).
  • »08.06.16 - 20:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> or any supported ancient Power Mac

>> Not taking 3rd party accelerators into account, it would have to be at least
    >> a QuickSilver model.

> It is beat handily by a Sawtooth 500Mhz G4.
    > lame_benchmark.png

I should have mentioned that I'm referring to non-SIMD code, of course.
  • »08.06.16 - 20:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    LOL! Thats a ferocious reply.
  • »08.06.16 - 21:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > iPad3,2 A7 dual-core.

The A5X SoC of the iPad3,2 has Cortex-A9 cores, not Cortex-A7.
  • »08.06.16 - 21:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It is a hosted on Linux version of AROS, so I don't see why it wouldn't be stable.
    > It should be as stable as the Linux distro it is hosted on top of

Why shouldn't AROS be able to crash when running on top of Linux? Of course, due to Linux' memory protection, AROS won't be able to crash the underlying Linux or any other Linux task running in parallel to AROS, but that's a different thing.
  • »08.06.16 - 21:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    @ FerociousAmiga

TheMagicM was referring to people who had previously made fun of MorphOS for supporting only "smelly old used computers" and implied that the OS would be much more interesting if it ran on (more expensive) hardware that was new (but does not offer major performance gains compared to pre-owned Apple hardware, hence seems "outdated" to some).

Yup, which is why IMO the MorphOS Team should stop trying to court the OS4 crowd and just make the platform jump. 5 new users on Sam460 and maybe 10-15 on X5000 really worth it? Abandon the X5000 port and focus on X86-64. Send the development boxes back to A-Eonkit and wash your hands of the whole situation.

JMHO, YMMV
  • »08.06.16 - 21:33
  • Just looking around
    FerociousAmiga
    Well sorry guys & gals... I over reacted....

PS
    Does MorphOS have Guru Mediation screen? I crashed my Rune Audio on my Raspberry Pi and my surprise it gave me a Guru Mediation screen. Good Old memories! :D

[ Edited by FerociousAmiga 09.06.2016 - 11:20 ]
    MorphOS 3.9 (Licensed!)
    Amiga 1200, 68020
    Amiga 500
    Amiga 1000
  • »09.06.16 - 15:14
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    @ FerociousAmiga

Yup, which is why IMO the MorphOS Team should stop trying to court the OS4 crowd and just make the platform jump. 5 new users on Sam460 and maybe 10-15 on X5000 really worth it? Abandon the X5000 port and focus on X86-64. Send the development boxes back to A-Eonkit and wash your hands of the whole situation.

JMHO, YMMV

"Abandon the X5000 port.."

Say what?!

I'm counting on that to run the X5000 I intend to buy.
    Otherwise, why buy one? ;)
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »09.06.16 - 15:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Does MorphOS have Guru Mediation screen?

No.
  • »09.06.16 - 15:54
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

FerociousAmiga wrote:
    Does MorphOS have Guru Mediation screen? I crashed my Rune Audio on my Raspberry Pi and my surprise it gave me a Guru Mediation screen. Good Old memories! :D

No it doesen´t.

We removed the crash part, so no need for a Guru Meditation.

Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

"Abandon the X5000 port.."

Say what?!

I'm counting on that to run the X5000 I intend to buy.
    Otherwise, why buy one? ;)

Just relax. The X5000 port was shown with MorphOS the first time over a year ago. - Working! -.

So no need to abandon anything. The whole Sam460 port only exists because of the X5000. If the X5000 board would have been available earlier, there probably would not be a Sam port at all. The Sam460 and the X5000 are quite similar, so the SAM was used to adapt MorphOS years before the X5000 was available (for developers).

At the end the MorphOS got (and gets) tons of changes when the X5000 finally is available for the masses, which will probably still take a while as Hyperion is probably busy with the next project (tabor) already.

I personaly have no clue why they sit on an stack of high priced boards and not selling them.

However they will have to compete with MorphOS once again and - unlike the Pegasos2 - on their playfield. Yes, there is the Sam, too. But since the MorphOS Team is supporting graphic boards one by one, supporting 2d and 3d Hyperion or who ever develops drivers is jumping to insane high end models mostly supported partly. So just a limited number of boards supported by both systems at the same time.
  • »09.06.16 - 15:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The whole Sam460 port only exists because of the X5000. If the X5000 board
    > would have been available earlier, there probably would not be a Sam port
    > at all. The Sam460 and the X5000 are quite similar

Thanks for the insight. Would you please explain these similarities between the Sam460 and the X5000 (or alternatively, have some lowlevel developer like bigfoot do it)?

> so the SAM was used to adapt MorphOS years before the X5000 was available
    > (for developers)

According to bigfoot, the P5020DS (available from Freescale since September 2012) was used before the X5000 was available for developers.

http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=11137&start=167
    http://www.nxp.com/webapp/search.partparamdetail.framework?PART_NUMBER=P5020DS-PB

> Hyperion is probably busy with the next project (tabor) already. I personaly
    > have no clue why they sit on an stack of high priced boards and not selling
    > them. However they will have to compete with MorphOS once again

Strangely, this reads as if you see A-Eon and Hyperion as a single entity.

> Hyperion or who ever develops drivers is jumping to insane high end models

The compatible "Southern Islands" GPUs also include entry-level variants.

> So just a limited number of boards supported by both systems at the same time.

And there's still the audio problem with MorphOS on the Sam460cr, isn't it?
  • »09.06.16 - 17:18
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > The whole Sam460 port only exists because of the X5000. If the X5000 board
    > would have been available earlier, there probably would not be a Sam port
    > at all. The Sam460 and the X5000 are quite similar

Thanks for the insight. Could you please explain these similarities between the Sam460 and the X5000 (or alternatively, have some lowlevel developer like bigfoot do it), please?

I am out here. This is what I was told about the reasons the x1000 was off the list, as it is completly different.

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Hyperion is probably busy with the next project (tabor) already. I personaly
    > have no clue why they sit on an stack of high priced boards and not selling
    > them. However they will have to compete with MorphOS once again

Strangely, this reads as if you see A-Eon and Hyperion as a single entity.

Well, Hyperion is the company composing the OS. No clue what their relationship with A-Eon is, but I would insist in finishing the X5000 port to avoid money rotting in the basement, where stacks of X5000 are stored.

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > So just a limited number of boards supported by both systems at the same time.

And there's still the audio problem with MorphOS on the Sam460cr, isn't it?

The Sam460cr has no audio, so no problem at all. The other SAM460s are fully supported by MorphOS.

You probably can stuff in some Envy-Card to get sound. No clue about the limitations/number of the board and the pci slots.

USB Audio would be a solution here, but USB-iso transfer would be required for that.
  • »09.06.16 - 17:46
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >You probably can stuff in some Envy-Card to get sound

Nope, the Envy driver is broken.
    I sold my Envy based card because of that.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »09.06.16 - 19:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > It is a hosted on Linux version of AROS, so I don't see why it wouldn't be stable.
    > It should be as stable as the Linux distro it is hosted on top of

Why shouldn't AROS be able to crash when running on top of Linux? Of course, due to Linux' memory protection, AROS won't be able to crash the underlying Linux or any other Linux task running in parallel to AROS, but that's a different thing.

I often write less in my posts than what I am thinking of regarding the answers (which is surprising considering how long winded too many of my forum posts are), and I should have added that AEROS should be just as stable as all other versions of AROS.

I haven't read any complaints regarding AROS being prone to crashing often, so I don't think it is a common problem, but I don't read AROS forums, so I could be assuming too much and it might be less stable than I imagine. My point was that I don't think AEROS is any less stable than any other version of AROS.

[ Edited by amigadave 09.06.2016 - 14:51 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »09.06.16 - 20:44
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    >You probably can stuff in some Envy-Card to get sound

Nope, the Envy driver is broken.
    I sold my Envy based card because of that.

Well, no clue about 3.9, but the driver should work.

Even if not you seemed to mixed up "selling" with "bugreporting".

[ Edited by geit 10.06.2016 - 00:20 ]
  • »09.06.16 - 21:19
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Quote:

I haven't read any complaints regarding AROS being prone to crashing often, so I don't think it is a common problem

Well, it's a research OS, open source and free as in free beer. I don't think people demand as much as over here. My experience is that AROS is much more stable now than 4 years ago.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »09.06.16 - 22:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Could you please explain these similarities between the Sam460 and the X5000
    >> (or alternatively, have some lowlevel developer like bigfoot do it), please?

> I am out here.

Too bad. I hope bigfoot (or someone else in the know) will find the time to explain this to us mortals. I'm sure I'm not the only one with an interest.

>>> Hyperion is probably busy with the next project (tabor) already. I personaly
    >>> have no clue why they sit on an stack of high priced boards and not selling
    >>> them. However they will have to compete with MorphOS once again

>> Strangely, this reads as if you see A-Eon and Hyperion as a single entity.

> Hyperion is the company composing the OS. [...] I would insist in finishing the X5000
    > port to avoid money rotting in the basement, where stacks of X5000 are stored.

Yes, but the rotting money is A-Eon's, not Hyperion's. And it's A-Eon who "sit on an stack of high priced boards and not selling them", not Hyperion.

>> there's still the audio problem with MorphOS on the Sam460cr, isn't it?

> You probably can stuff in some Envy-Card to get sound.

No, you can't with MorphOS.

http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11256&forum=11&start=18
  • »10.06.16 - 00:08